Do Star Turtles bury themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilspatel

5 Year Member
I have 7 star turtles as pets and have been taking a huge amount of care for them.. i have given them a huge outdoor scrubby and thorny habitat enclosed by net-fencing.. I have since 4 or 5 years, ever since they were tiny little babies..

Today, i came out to give them food.. surprisingly i cant spot 5 of them! They usually hide in the bushy plants area but today they aren't there..

have they gone missing or have they buried themselves to keep themselves warm.. Do star turtles bury themselves?

The winters have begun since the beginning of this month and the temperatures drop below 18 degree at night.. But this is the first time in 4 - 5 years that they have vanished!! Now i cant dig up my whole back yard to find them.. plz help!!

[Btw, the ones that are gone missing are females and they have finished laying their share eggs this year.. at-least they were digging around my backyard a lot and laying eggs these past few weeks..]

I would really appreciate any answers or advice or lessons in this area of star turtle care..

arotester

5 Year Member
18 deg c is too low.You must try CHE at night .Also,do you keep all your torts in same enclosure ???
And on the burrowing thing, torts to burrow when the temp gets too cold or too hot for them.
Finally welcome to the forum ,where are you from?
:)

nevilspatel

5 Year Member
arotester said:
18 deg c is too low.You must try CHE at night .Also,do you keep all your torts in same enclosure ???
And on the burrowing thing, torts to burrow when the temp gets too cold or too hot for them.

Thanks Arotester!

I am from India. All my turtles are in the same enclosure and have given no problems such as fighting, sickness or "alphaness".. :)

How long do they burrow in the ground?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
They will bury themselves in some situations. Cold weather could easily be one of them. If the ground is conducive, a great many species of tortoise, stars included from what I have seen on a limited basis, will/can dig in and bury themselves to evade adverse temperature conditions.

In terms of length, I suppose it would be until whenever conditions improve.

arotester said:

Did no one inform the tortoises that their traditional native habitat had become inhospitable by forum standards?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Is it possible that someone has taken them? Are there monkeys in the area? Macaques could be a problem.I would think that as it warms in the daytime, they should show themselves.

arotester

5 Year Member
Baoh said:

Did no one inform the tortoises that their traditional native habitat had become inhospitable by forum standards?

sorry i didn't get you,can you explain it?

tickle

5 Year Member
India is not small and has many different.climates that is funny though.he ment that are care sheets for star tortoises don't have temps that low.but stars are from southern India a much hotter climate.if they burried themselves they make a mess and u shoulld measly be able to find out were there are.I have feeling they were stolen.hey yagy maybe they broke amish law and levy made them dissapear?

Status
Not open for further replies.