Do tortoises get bored?

Alfie&Toby

Location (City and/or State)
Leicester
I've had a tortoise for 5 years now (Toby/Toblerone, he goes by either hehe). He has a pen in the corner of my room, with a glass window, sometimes he scratches at it. So, I wonder if he gets bored? I let him out sometimes to have a trot around the room, but when I'm not home, are there any toys or things like that, that could keep him entertained? Thanks!
:D

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Nope, tortoises don’t get bored. It’s likely just scratching at the side because you let him roam the floor and now he knows there’s another world out there, or his enclosure is too small.

I would stop letting him roam the floor. It’s too cold, it lets them know there’s another world out there and they’ll stress themselves out trying to get back to it, it’s extremely dangerous for them, and how this happened-IMG_1706.jpg
What species of tortoise is this, and how large is your enclosure?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm not sue if they get "bored" per se, but I have noticed that they get more active every time their environment is changed. I rearrange stuff in my enclosure every so often so that it will want to explore and get more exercise. I don't think he's bored; rather a bit too comfortable with his surroundings whereby lacking the will-power to move around as much.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When I was younger. And way before this forum....Ir possibly the internet...I noticed that my tortoises would sometimes push a ball around the place.
Now. I understand that that is just a form of aggression.
Just about anything that I ever tried, it was actually for MY amusement. The tortoises don't need excitement. It's not in their nature.
Maybe that's why they live so long.
Eat. Poop. Sleep. Repeat.