do tortoises throw tantrums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I came home today after an eight hour shift at cmog to a totally savaged terrarium. ha, i didn't know if i made her unhappy because no one paid attention to her today or what.

then i was curious if she was just like angry. suggestions??

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Tortoises like to be free to exercise.

Yours just used her available space as a gymnasium and weight room--maybe some kickboxing or yoga while she was at it...;)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Feng shui for torts perhaps.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
but bob is an unusual one.

S

Scooter

Thor has one last night. I was holding him looking him over and he decided to pee on me but it was projectile pee that shot all the way up my arm! And he is small enough to fit in my hand!

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
ha ha okay so this is a very normal behavior. also, i try to get ophelia out as much as possible but how much should i truly get her out? like three to four times a week? i dont have a legit outdoor enclosure for her, so i have to sit out there with her, which is why i cant get her out very much

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sometimes tantrums are normal, but it can also be from too small of an enclosure. I think you need to build an outdoor enclosure if you have the space and weather for that. Torts just placed in a large yard are even more likely to be upset when brought in to their small indoor enclosure, as the indoor enclosure is much more restrictive. I'd make the outdoor enclosure secure and not more than a couple times the size of the indoor one so it isn't as much of an adjustment. Weather and safety permitting, as much time as possible is recommended as that is where torts thrive. You can even make an enclosure out of cinder blocks and some hardware cloth over it weighted down. I am assuming though this tort is old enough to be left out in a safe enclosure--it looks small in the photo. At least if you had a safe enclosure you could leave it for a couple hours while you went inside. Provide a hide and some water, have the temps warm enough, and you are good to go. Something to graze on is great too as long as it is chemical free.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob threw another tantrum today outside because I blocked him from a corner of his new fence that he is trying to climb over. He doesn't seem to realize that he is almost through a plank there. But I blocked him from that corner and I watched him throw an actual fit then he peed and pooped on the wood, even tho he had already done his usual poopin earlier. I think I am close to putting him up on the auction block and see if I can sell him for enough to pay my property taxes and then have a nice quiet Sulcata free life...:p The jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.