Do You Think This Will Work

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I had a Hermann's lay eggs on Sept 3 outside and decided to leave them in place for a while. I wanted to leave the eggs in place as long as possible so I made this little bottomless box with a glass top. With one of my homemade heated tiles setting on 4 screws to keep the tile from setting directly on the ground while the air temps were still warm.Picture 001.jpgWe've had a few cloudy chilly days coming so earlier I set the tile directly on the ground below the screws. This morning with the temps in the 60s i checked the temps. The top of the tile was 105 F and the soil below the tile was 85 F.Picture 002.jpgPicture 003.jpgI will dig the eggs up Saturday because after the next couple days with temps in the low 80s we will cool off to normal October temps. This next pic is of Spot who I left in the ground for a while before bringing the egg inside to finish development 2 years ago. I didn't use the heated tile then so brought it in sooner.Picture 007.jpgShe will 2 next month and measures 6 inches in length.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a very cool idea. Too bad they get laid so late that you have to bring them in.
I wonder if you made the box insulated and the window like a double pane window and sink the box into the ground like an inch or two if the heated tile would keep it warm enough the whole time?
Maybe your next project.
Hope it works out, don't know why it wouldnt as long ad the temp heat tile keeps it warm enough.
Keep ua posted.