Do your torts... cuddle?

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I always find my RF hatchlings in their hide right next to each other. They have a ton of space and multiple hides in their enclosure, so it's not because they don't have room for personal space. One time Lucy was asleep with her head sort of resting on the side Lilo's shell! Is this normal? Do your torts do this? It's actually quite cute.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Sometimes mine all cram into the same corner. Whether for basking for sleeping. I don't think they cuddle, I think they fight for the best spot. First to push their way in, wins.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
To be serious, no I don't think tortoises cuddle. In situations of two tortoises I think it's an early sign of bullying. In a group, it's a all out cram to get the best spot. Sorry.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Mine cuddles the cat! ImageUploadedByTortForum1383632797.231366.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383632852.798235.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383632962.973193.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Re: RE: Do your torts... cuddle?

LisaTurtle said:
Mine cuddles the cat!

Lol!:)

I know bullying can be a problem and I've been watching VERY closely but I haven't seen anything else to be concerned about. I was just wondering if it was for body temperature reasons or anything like that.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

compassrose26 said:
. I was just wondering if it was for body temperature reasons or anything like that.

Because they are cold blooded they do not generate body heat like we do. They can not snuggle up to keep warm like we do.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With some of mine I would not call it cuddling, but I also would not call it bullying either. To me, some seem to actually thrive on being able to share space with each other. Others of course, do not. :D

LisaTurtle said:
Mine cuddles the cat!

I have a few who end up next to the cats.:cool: I don't know if it's because the cat adds more warmth or simply because the cat has taken a choice spot with warmth and sunshine present. :D I sometimes wonder if the tortoises like the vibrations the cat makes.

... then there is my largest male sulcata who tries to kill small kittens, no cuddles there.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan

Jacqui said:
With some of mine I would not call it cuddling, but I also would not call it bullying either. To me, some seem to actually thrive on being able to share space with each other.

That's kind of what it seems like

lichjen

5 Year Member
Cuddle the cat? wonder if mine will do that. I know my female snake cudddles with my black cat (with a watchful eye of course)

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
I think the cat is warm and my tort likes that. The cat will lay right in front of Gary the tort, and then roll over on his back, like 'Wont you play with me?' Sometimes he rolls right over top of Gary! And he loves to scratch his face on Gary's shell.

Jacqui said:
With some of mine I would not call it cuddling, but I also would not call it bullying either. To me, some seem to actually thrive on being able to share space with each other. Others of course, do not. :D

LisaTurtle said:
Mine cuddles the cat!

I have a few who end up next to the cats.:cool: I don't know if it's because the cat adds more warmth or simply because the cat has taken a choice spot with warmth and sunshine present. :D I sometimes wonder if the tortoises like the vibrations the cat makes.

... then there is my largest male sulcata who tries to kill small kittens, no cuddles there.

Oh no don't eat small kittens!! :( yikes you gotta watch out for that guy, that's terrible!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
compassrose26 said:
her head sort of resting on the side shell! Is this normal? Do your torts do this? It's actually quite cute.

2njar0n.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a cute picture, but isn't he really just trying to get to whatever food that is next to the little one?