Does anyone dream about their tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
I just woke up from a nightmare involving squished tortoises and a LOT of pyramiding. One of the tortoises I saw had pyramids in the shape of a square.

Does anyone else worry about their tortoises through nightmares or dreams?
Or is my subconscious just pathetically obsessed?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Odd you should mention it. It has been cold at night here so the torts have been inside then, and a couple nights ago they were the focus of what I remember of my dreams. Something about lots of rain, but it was before we had a good rain last night.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Guilty. My dreams usually involve worrying about them. However, soon after we moved to Florida, my husband had a dream that our box turtle, Baggy Pants, was a slumlord for all the lizards who lived in our back yard, and he drove around on a little golf cart yelling, "your rent is due!" :p

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I had a nightmare. When I got my first turtle I imagined that he had died and when I woke I had dry tears on my face.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
I don't even dream about my cat or dog or car this way... And I love them all too! But maybe it's because of just how much the tortoises rely on us. I don't even like going away overnight anymore because I don't want to have to entrust someone else with all of their needs. How will I ever deal with having kids in the future? Lol.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Absolutely!
I have dreams of better and better enclosures that my husband happily helps me with.
They are my living hobby and i love them!

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Me too Kathy! High-five for living hobbies! I haven't dreamt of a cooler enclosure yet. I hope the vision comes soon, and I hope it's cheap! :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I do have some pretty weird dreams about Carl. Sometimes I dream that I lose him outside... last night I actually had a dream that Carl like doubled in size and I was freaking out because I thought my mom replaced him because died or something :p That was one of those dreams where it REALLY felt real at the time and in the morning I had to double check to make sure he was still itty bitty

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have had light dreams about them escaping and getting stolen or lost in the woods!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Most of those sound like nightmares. :(
Before my trip i was so worried about their travel cages, the dogs hammock, and the dogs safety harnesses and i had a dream the dogs and tortoises all had safety harnesses on and were belted in as we were leaving. Henrys was green and bettys was hot pink. :)

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
I dream that bad stuff happens to them. I feel like a nerd afterwards. I guess to me my turtles are my babies and I worry for them.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
When I was a boy, I took my box turtle over to my friend's house to "play" with his pet rat (silly kids). The rat bit the box turtle on the eyelid, and although no real damage was done, my turtle's eye did fill with blood until we washed it out. I later lost that same box turtle in the backyard one summer, and never found her again.

I have also seen troubling photos of tortoises with rodent-attack injuries after hibernation, or with missing limbs for one reason or another. Thankfully, none of my tortoises or box turtles have had serious injuries like that.

However, I sometimes have dreams that my tortoise or box turtle is being attacked somehow. I've had dreams where I find my chelonian in the yard, and pick it up, only to find that it has been wounded or mutilated. It's very scary and sad, and then I wake up and realize it was only a dream.

I think these dreams come when I am worried about something. Could be a worry about my Russian tortoises, or even about something else entirely. But I think my subconscious mind uses the image of a "wounded turtle" as a symbol for worry in my dreams.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I had a very strange dream that I had put my tortoises in the microwave to warm them up! Surprisingly, they came out fine o_o

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Just seen this and I'm chuckling as my son said he had dreamt about a tortoise last night that walked super fast but it only had a small shell but an over large body lol.... I've not dreamt about Alan yet though ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I rarely have dreams about the tortoises themselves. Most of the dreams that revolve around them are more of the type where I am having a party here for you guys or visiting some TFO person and seeing their setup. The second most often dream is working on enclosures, for some reason always the outside ones. Oh if you guys could just see the elaborate ones I build in those dreams, especially the ponds and streams along with the awesome plants bursting forth with color and huge leaves.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Jacqui said:
I rarely have dreams about the tortoises themselves. Most of the dreams that revolve around them are more of the type where I am having a party here for you guys or visiting some TFO person and seeing their setup. The second most often dream is working on enclosures, for some reason always the outside ones. Oh if you guys could just see the elaborate ones I build in those dreams, especially the ponds and streams along with the awesome plants bursting forth with color and huge leaves.

You should draw them and take a photo for us to see! You never know you might give us all some inspiration! :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I dreamed last night that I had purchased two baby turtles of different but undefined species. I was hold them in my hand and looking out the window when I saw another baby turtle on my back step. I went out to collect it, and found that it was a softshell, but its head was tortoise-like rather than that snorkly nose then they have. Anyway, the soft shell was a little scrapper and kept running off or climbing out of my hand when I tried to take a picture of it, still holding the first two turtles in my other hand. I decided not to keep the softshell and put it on the ground for one last photo attempt and it scampered off into the grass and disappeared. It was like herding cats! I was relieved to wake up with only my Hermanns in the house:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Alan RF said:
Jacqui said:

You should draw them and take a photo for us to see! You never know you might give us all some inspiration! :)

I only wish I could draw. :( Drawing stick humans is bad enough, but stick tortoises and plants, let alone streams loose something in translation. *rubs chin* You know, some of my real plants do end up looking a bit like stick plants. :rolleyes:

Edna said:
I dreamed last night that I had purchased two baby turtles of different but undefined species. I was hold them in my hand and looking out the window when I saw another baby turtle on my back step. I went out to collect it, and found that it was a softshell, but its head was tortoise-like rather than that snorkly nose then they have. Anyway, the soft shell was a little scrapper and kept running off or climbing out of my hand when I tried to take a picture of it, still holding the first two turtles in my other hand. I decided not to keep the softshell and put it on the ground for one last photo attempt and it scampered off into the grass and disappeared. It was like herding cats! I was relieved to wake up with only my Hermanns in the house:)

Edna your very talented in your dreams. You have one hand holding two turtles, while with your other hand your not only trying to hold on to an active baby turtle but take a picture of it. :D

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
Edna your very talented in your dreams. You have one hand holding two turtles, while with your other hand your not only trying to hold on to an active baby turtle but take a picture of it. :D

Yeah, no wonder it didn't work, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.