Tortoises dream?

Nour sharif

Location (City and/or State)
Lebanon
My baby tortoise Amelia makes a lot of sounds when she is asleep. On more than one occasion she was making so much noise i had to wake her up and calm her down by scratching and rubbing her head and after that she would feel better and go back to sleep without any noise. It made me think that she might be having some dreams? Or maybe they are just baby noises like human babies since on more than one occasion she reminded me of human babies.

Also something else I have read that a lot of people find it weird when a tortoise sleeps with her limbs out of her shell but my two tortoises sleep all the time with their little hands and legs out of their shells and their head resting on the floor of their enclosure in the most adorable way possible!! It always makes me think that they are comfortable in their surrounding so they feel safe enough to put their head out of their shells and sleep like that. And to be honest that is flattering. Anyone's input about this is welcome

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, @Nour sharif .(I live in Jordan - v near to you).

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and post pics of your tort as well as her enclosure. This will enable us to help you more easily.

When a tort is lying down with his/her limbs stretched out this is an indication that he/she is relaxed, as you mentioned.

As for sounds, regretfully I cannot help you. Have not ever heard Oli (my tort) making any sound. But let's ask some of the experts to help:

@Yvonne G
@Tom

you help would be appreciated here. Thanks.