Does anyone have advice on keeping greens fresh?

longmire19

I feed Sherman a 70/30 mix of wild picked broad leaf weeds and store bought greens. Having said that, I go through more greens than weeds because they don't stay fresh for very long and I wind up throwing them out. I buy organic greens that are sold in banded bunches so I can't buy smaller portions. I try to buy a variety usually 2-3 different types every 3-4 days. Is there some trick to keeping them fresh? Any advice on increasing their shelf life would be greatly appreciated.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
take them out of the banded bunches, rinse, and wrap in paper towels. Then put them in an unsealed plastic bag in your refrigerator. The paper towel keeps them from getting too soggy.

For some greens, you can put the stems in a jar of water in your windowsill. Sometimes they will grow new roots and will stay fresh that way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stop buying organic stuff and see if the regular stuff lasts longer.

Or, the best plan ever, get more tortoises so it all gets eaten up sooner. :D

longmire19

I agree, but sadly I lack the proper space to house another, so I will try the regular stuff. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always wash the produce before I put it in the fridge. Then I place a paper towel in the bottom of a plastic bag and add the produce. It will usually stay fresh for about a week that way.

W Shaw

most grocery stores sell green plastic bags that are made with a substance that keeps produce fresh for a much longer time. Also, you can get mats of the stuff to line your produce drawers with. Having said that, though -- I just dumped a huge pile of store bought stuff because Ronan and I can't eat through it fast enough between us to use it up before it has to be tossed.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
I found that putting a towel at the bottom of the produce drawer made a big difference in the life of the greens.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I use containers with drain trays. Dandelion leaves and squash flowers last nicely for a week. After a week, they start to wilt. Water/moisture seems to be a veggie and fruit enemy.

Something like this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447714889.920881.jpg