Does anyone have Burmese star?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

5 Year Member
Hi

I am very interested in Burmese star.

They are very difficult to find in Europe too. I am currently waiting from a German breeder a couple of CB babies, but it is not sure the eggs will hatch...
Damn

I saw that prices in the US are completely insane for some species (like this one, or angulated and radiated), while others are sold for Nothing (all US species)

I am looking for some information about the care, feeding etc. in captivity
:D

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I don't have any, but I know someone who is produces probably more than anyone else in the US. They seem to be very hardy especially when compared to Indian Stars. You can keep them in a similar fashion as your Radiated Tortoises.

Also, Jerry Fife wrote a book about Burmese and Indian Stars.

Just google Jerry Fife Reptiles and you can order the book directly from him.

Good luck!

Phoenix

5 Year Member
Actually, I already bought that book, which is very good and easy to read (as English is not my mother tongue...)

i'm sooo bored that I can't even find a CB baby.

Some months ago, I tried to know if I could import some from Thailand (a company sell some CB babies with permits) or from a US pet store (like those in Kingsnake.com) but it is very long, unfriendly, and... expensive (even if we have a very good Euro/Dollar change trend ;)

They're much more hardy than G. elegans, for sure. The pattern and the shell is different. They are less shy too.

samstar

5 Year Member
Thats expensive. I bought my Indian Stars for US$80 each and I live in Asia.

fstyle28

5 Year Member
sameer said:

Indian stars are cheaper compared to the Burmese ones.

J_Foster

10 Year Member!
Chicago
Oops! I went and did it. It's not really the best time of the year for self-indulgent purchases and it's not like I'm rolling in dough, but I had to do it. I went and got myself a baby Burmese Star. He's beautiful. Pics coming soon.
- Jim

Sunrise

5 Year Member
Phoenix said:
Hi

I am very interested in Burmese star.

They are very difficult to find in Europe too. I am currently waiting from a German breeder a couple of CB babies, but it is not sure the eggs will hatch...
Damn

I saw that prices in the US are completely insane for some species (like this one, or angulated and radiated), while others are sold for Nothing (all US species)

I am looking for some information about the care, feeding etc. in captivity
:D

How much are they in the US?
its should be expensive as its as rare as the Yniphora..but I guess some people think it similar to indian/ srilanka star, so the price is lower compare to the ynip.

They are completely different with indian/ srilanka star. The personality are really great, so responsive, they RUN, and nice pattern. They always follow your hand...not shy...and walks really fast.

Here are some picts of my burmese:

DSC02650.JPG

DSC02488.JPG

DSC02476.JPG

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
I have worked with and bred them quite extensively in the past.
Care is very easy (for a tortoise) and the animals are quite hardy.
I used Cypress mulch as a substrate which I misted once a day. This made for a slightly damp substrate which the animals absolutely thrived on. Ambient temps were 78 degrees and the basking area was maintained at 98 degrees measured from the top of the largest tortoises shell. This gave the animals a temp gradient of 78 though 98 degrees and resulted in active animals that were on the move throughout the day.
I am relatively particular about feeding my animals so I picked my own greens or grew them artificially inside during the winter. Plantain, Dandelion, Opuntia and Watercress were mixed into a salad and fed daily. Once a week I would mix in a bit of squash and roses.
Below are a few of the adult animals I worked with as well as various hatchlings they produced. The two hatchings are from a clutch back in 2004 and the other two are from other adults I had in my collection.
Hope you enjoy.

200001.jpg

210001.jpg

220001.jpg

170001.jpg

190001.jpg

090001.jpg

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jackie,
Those are some good looking Burmese Stars. For some reason, I think I have seen few of those pics before.
Scott

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
It wouldn't surpise me Scott. Seems everytime someone ran an ad my pics were accompanying then LOL!
Got to where I had to write my name across the photos which is part of the reason I stopped putting them up.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have not found them to be difficult to keep. Mind you all of mine were actually CB in the USA, so there were no WC issues to deal with. I paid way more than the numbers that keep being "floated" around by other people, and do not really care. I am more than a few years into this project and expect that I am still a couple of years away from offspring. Enjoy your cheap ones and I hope that it works out for you. Best wishes Douglas

Gus

5 Year Member
Ya agree too ex for indian star, I paid abt US$34

fstyle28 said:
sameer said:

Indian stars are cheaper compared to the Burmese ones.

tortoise_lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
douglas: i can't say anything about burmese star, cause i never have it... hopes someday i can keep them too :) would love it very much.. btw douglas, i want to ask about indian star.. even though you say that keep indian stars are easy, but for real, i found its very difficult to keep indian stars.. sometimes it sudden death, or sometimes it sick and than dead.. what about that? now i keep 3 pairs indian stars at adult size, hopes nothing bad happen to them... i keep them outdoor when daylight, and keep them indoor when night.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Douglas do you have pics of your platynota that you are willing to share? Who did you get your CB animals from?

I may get a small group of them.....still not sure if I want to spend money that I could get some radiated tortoises with....:cool:

They seem very cool and I had the chance to see a group of almost 20 adults.....they were all curious and not shy at all.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My SriLankans are not all all shy either. My Burmese are still pretty young, only going on 5. The breeder that produced mine no longer has his animals. It is a shame because the offspring that I bought have been turning out quite nice. I wish that I had bought more. I was happy to get them for close to $1000 ea in quantity. Still worth every penny I paid. Douglas

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
elegans said:
My SriLankans are not all all shy either. My Burmese are still pretty young, only going on 5. The breeder that produced mine no longer has his animals. It is a shame because the offspring that I bought have been turning out quite nice. I wish that I had bought more. I was happy to get them for close to $1000 ea in quantity. Still worth every penny I paid. Douglas

That is still a good price, even today. The srilankans that I had, weren't too shy....but it seems like the burmese may be a little more outgoing....in my observations. Eventually, I may put together a group of burmese stars...

How are some of your holdback sri lankans turning out? I know you had some nice animals and some super nice animals you held back. haha

Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.