Does anyone know what kind of tortoise this is?

Mirandaclark

I live in corona California and my dad found it outside on the street. We keep him outside and feed him tortoise food and some lettuce and stuff but I want to make sure we are taking care of him properly,and we have no idea what type of tortoise he is.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I am new to all this too...but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess box turtle.

I just want to see if I'm right...close...or totally out to sea...;)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Looks like a boxy to me as well. Either an old one or he's been chewed on by something with the little bits of damage to his shell. I'm sure @Yvonne G would know if it is native or if it's someones lost or released pet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The ornate box turtle (Terrapene ornata ornata) is not native to California, so this turtle is someone's lost or escaped pet. Put up fliers on the utility pole around the neighborhood where he was found. Also most newspapers allow free "found" ads, and you can also place a craigslist ad. But don't give out too much info because you'll get lots of calls wanting the turtle and saying it belongs to them.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-ornateboxie.htm

Mirandaclark

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The ornate box turtle (Terrapene ornata ornata) is not native to California, so this turtle is someone's lost or escaped pet. Put up fliers on the utility pole around the neighborhood where he was found. Also most newspapers allow free "found" ads, and you can also place a craigslist ad. But don't give out too much info because you'll get lots of calls wanting the turtle and saying it belongs to them.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-ornateboxie.htm

Hello! And thank you guys for all your help! We actually did ask everyone around the neighbor hood if they had a lost turtle or knew of anyone that had lost one because we have a very tight neighbor hood and everyone knows everyone and not one person could give us any leads or and info. We keep him outside and feed him lettuce and tortoise food and leave out water I just want to make sure we are taking care of him properly since no one has claimed him.