Does anyone know what type of tortoise this is?

TortoiseGirl03

My sister and I have had a tortoise for a while now, and we are unsure what type he is. The person we got him from said he is a Russian Box Tortoise. But we are unsure so I thought maybe someone may know what type he is. Thank you:)

2016-04-07-132520.jpg 2016-04-07-132338.jpg 2016-04-07-132327.jpg 2016-04-07-132419.jpg 2016-04-07-132438.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I hear that so often - Russian box tortoise. "Box" is way wrong for a Russian tortoise. We call the box turtle a "box" turtle because he can close up his shell with his head, tail and legs all inside and he looks like a box.

Box turtles and Russian tortoises take entirely different care. The Russian tortoise comes from the steppe, a dry, rocky terrain with sparse vegetation.

The box turtle comes from areas of heavy undergrowth and lots of moisture. Also, they eat animal protein, while the Russian tortoise only eats vegetation.

So, what has your box turtle been eating?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
A "Russian Box Turtle" that would be a very interesting species :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A "Russian Box Turtle" that would be a very interesting species :D

Evidently quite common in the pet trade here in my area. I hear it all the time in reference to Russian tortoises. Makes ya wonder, huh?

TortoiseGirl03

He loves to eat meal worms and Nature zone moist food bites that we get and sometimes lettuce

Attachments

• 9-oz.jpg
    9-oz.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 7

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Those are so cool.
It was the type I used to find in the woods as a kid growing up in South Carolina.
They were always within a few hundred feet of a creek.

TortoiseGirl03

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I hear that so often - Russian box tortoise. "Box" is way wrong for a Russian tortoise. We call the box turtle a "box" turtle because he can close up his shell with his head, tail and legs all inside and he looks like a box.

Box turtles and Russian tortoises take entirely different care. The Russian tortoise comes from the steppe, a dry, rocky terrain with sparse vegetation.

The box turtle comes from areas of heavy undergrowth and lots of moisture. Also, they eat animal protein, while the Russian tortoise only eats vegetation.

So, what has your box turtle been eating?
Not a tortoise, it's a box turtle - Terrapene carolina triunguis.

So if he is a box turtle he would need to be in a tank full of water, right?

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
They're not like aquatic turtles. If you put it in a tank full of water it would drown & die.
They like to be in areas near water but not actively swimming.
I don't know too much about the care of box turtles. The ones we have near my house, I've always left alone. But one did fall into the pool (thankfully he landed on the solar cover so I was able to rescue the little guy and get him out of the pool) so I know they love water.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
they do like to soak in water on their own. but they don't swim. They like high humidity. They are very interesting turtles i just rescued a pair and they have a ton of personality they love scrambled agg, ( no butter or oil) they eat earthworms, they like cooked yams, pureed carrot might work..Enjoy!!