Can anyone identify what type of tort?

Dare

Hi there, I apologize if this is in the wrong area of this website but I'm not sure where to post!

We found this dude (unsure of sex at the moment, just referring to it as a him) in our backyard! Asked around to see if someone lost a pet, but the next door neighbor told me he's lived at our house for years!

So strange we didn't see him before. We only moved here in october ('16). The pup started barking earlier and that's how we discovered him. Maybe he was living under our planter box?

Just wondering if anyone can help us determine what type of tortoise he is, maybe how old? We thought maybe a Texas Tortoise (we live in Houston, Tx)...my husband thought he may resemble a yellow footed tortoise but I don't see it as much.

I only put him in the box while I asked the neighbors if they'd lost a tort! He is now back roaming the yard.. He did eat some fresh lettuce from my garden that I gave him. I don't have a photo of his underside at the moment, sorry!

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_7373.PNG IMG_7372.PNG IMG_7374.JPG

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
That is a 3 toed box turtle. Unfortunately no way to tell age but it's a mature adult.

Dare

That is a 3 toed box turtle. Unfortunately no way to tell age but it's a mature adult.

Thanks for your reply! Interesting. We looked at the 3 toed box turtles earlier online but didn't think he looked similar to any of the images we went through.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks for your reply! Interesting. We looked at the 3 toed box turtles earlier online but didn't think he looked similar to any of the images we went through.
They can look different depending on where they are from. Some have a very plain olive shell. Others have a golden shell with yellow markings. Or darker with yellow markings like this one.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't think 3 toed is native to texas. He must be a lost pet....

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
Right now my profile pic is a three toed box turtle from Oklahoma. They can look like this or be much more colorful like yours.