Does my Russian tortoise look ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDaley97

5 Year Member
I got Nelson from a family friend nearly a year ago. I have no idea what a normal tortoise looks like ahah! He's 3 years old, about 6" long. Pictures below :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1378077644.222989.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378077684.157988.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378077710.542267.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Has he been raised mostly indoors? What has his diet been?

SDaley97

5 Year Member
Yes, and mainly baby gem lettuce with me, a bit of carrot from time to time. Why?

lindsey

5 Year Member
He looks healthy to me :) try giving him different types of food but be careful because they can only have certain types of Lettuce.. I have 2 Russians myself [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] their my babies

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
His beak is a little bit long and he is slightly bumpy...that's how we could tell he was raised indoors.

Try to get him eating a more varied diet. This site has a pretty good list of foods to feed Russian tortoises:

http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

He needs to see more actual sunshine, have a better diet, and be able to get more exercise.

SDaley97

5 Year Member
Since he is young will improving those things reverse the bumps? Is this normal for tortoises raised indoors anyway?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Get him a cuttle bone and some direct sunlight and he will be healthier. He may be suffering from a lack of UV needed to process the calcium into strong bones. The diet will need to be much more varied.

The members here will be happy to help you improve your torts lifestyle and health. A picture of your enclosure and a picture of the torts tail will help ID the maturity and sex of your tort.

I wish you and your tort all the best.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.