Does my tortoise look like she has shell rot

Jenkins42110

5 Year Member
photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG
Does my redfoot have shell rot if so how do i treat it. My tortoise just got done getting treated for parasites because the guy i got her from neglected her (thats why there is medicine on the food) and i dont want to have another vet bill ( parasites = 175). She is using a type of pellet made by zilla for her substrate because the mulch keep geting in her eye. Her humidity stays about 60% because of the giant bowl in the corner. I use a 2.0 repti glo light and a 10.0 UVB light with a 75W day light ans a 100w red light. She gets a main diet of lettuce and berries with 2 types of pellet style foods. I plan on upgrading here to a 40 breeder very soon. Also I would like to know if orchard bark would work without getting in here eyes (I hate the pellets one little drop of water and they get 3 times the size) (I know the little turtle in the bottom tank needs UVB and a heater but he was only there for maybe 12 hours)

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
it might be shell rot but i don't know, i think its keeping her way to dry. red foots are from south america its hot, humid and wet. her cage needs a different substrate that can keep your tort at 80-85% humidity.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I don't see any rot in those pictures. I'm going to give it to you quick and dirty so don't take it personal or as an attack. That substraight is junk, your humidity is too low and your feeding too much fruit.

Substraight needs to hold moisture and pellets hold none. You can mix plain top soil (not potting soil it has fertilizer in it) with spag moss. Humidity needs to be 90% or more and stay constant at that level not up and down all day. Food needs to be more greens and weeds, fruit only twice a week. Check out the website tortoiselibrary.com to read up. For your tort to have shell rot it would have to be too wet and yours is the exact opposite and is too dry. The only thing I see on the shell is white on top in between the scutes. This white area is normal, it's new growth.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
What are your day time and night time temps?

Your tort is starting to pyramid because of the lack of moisture and junk food diet.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Jenkins42110

5 Year Member
I don't see any rot in those pictures. I'm going to give it to you quick and dirty so don't take it personal or as an attack. That substraight is junk, your humidity is too low and your feeding too much fruit.

Substraight needs to hold moisture and pellets hold none. You can mix plain top soil (not potting soil it has fertilizer in it) with spag moss. Humidity needs to be 90% or more and stay constant at that level not up and down all day. Food needs to be more greens and weeds, fruit only twice a week. Check out the website tortoiselibrary.com to read up. For your tort to have shell rot it would have to be too wet and yours is the exact opposite and is too dry. The only thing I see on the shell is white on top in between the scutes. This white area is normal, it's new growth.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
What are your day time and night time temps?

Your tort is starting to pyramid because of the lack of moisture and junk food diet.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
My day temps are 80 - 85 near the hide and 90-95 under the light and what would be the soil to moss ratio

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My day temps are 80 - 85 near the hide and 90-95 under the light and what would be the soil to moss ratio
Your temps are good just don't let it drop below 80 at night or you risk it getting sick.

You can mix soil an moss anywhere from 50/50 to 75/25 (75 soil). Either way you'll want to add some moss as a layer on top of your dirt/moss mixture. What type of mulch were you using? Cypress mulch is good but usually for older ones.

Soak your tort in warm water for 15-20 mins everyday. Check out that website so you can see the list of greens and weeds to feed. Use a timer for your light and UVB and set it for about 12 hours a day. Put a CHE or something on a thermostat and set the temp at 80 so it can come on and off as needed.

Holding humidity is a battle if you have an open top. That's why I use a closed chamber. I only have to mess with adding moisture a few times a week.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Jenkins42110

5 Year Member
Your temps are good just don't let it drop below 80 at night or you risk it getting sick.

You can mix soil an moss anywhere from 50/50 to 75/25 (75 soil). Either way you'll want to add some moss as a layer on top of your dirt/moss mixture. What type of mulch were you using? Cypress mulch is good but usually for older ones.

Soak your tort in warm water for 15-20 mins everyday. Check out that website so you can see the list of greens and weeds to feed. Use a timer for your light and UVB and set it for about 12 hours a day. Put a CHE or something on a thermostat and set the temp at 80 so it can come on and off as needed.

Holding humidity is a battle if you have an open top. That's why I use a closed chamber. I only have to mess with adding moisture a few times a week.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
photo 3 - Copy.JPG Is this OK. I did add cypress mulch in front of the water dish after I took the photo because she keep getting the moss inside of it. And can the moss hurt here if she eats it?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The moss isn't going to hurt her. Heres the trick to not getting shell rot. They get rot because there shells sit in wet substraight all day long. You need to keep the soil wet and the top layer of moss dry. So when you add water just move some moss to the side and pour some water in the soil and puts the moss back. If you keep the soil wet under the light it will keep your humidity up. Mist a few times a day and must your tort too. Do you have a cover or lid on your tank to hold the heat and humidity in?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Also dig down and burry that water dish into the soil so the top is even with the dirt. It will lower the risk of your tort flipping over in your dish and drowning. She will drag moss in the dish but you're supposed to be cleaning it everyday anyway.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
There's not much for your tort to do and explore in there. Try putting a few small plants in there. It will make her feel more comfortable and help hold humidity in. Real or fake plants. Here's a link to safe real plants.

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)