Does this look like shell rot or fungus??

NataliaTG

Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Hello!
I've had Frankie for about 6 months now. She's a Texas tortoise (born in captivity), she was given to me by my father. I have other two texas tortoises, Bejamin and Rex. Benji and Rex's plastrons are dark... but Frankie's plastron looks white (?) I used to think that this was normal, as It wasn't the first tortoise with a white plastron that I had seen. But as I started reading more and more about tortoises, I started thinking that maybe something was wrong with her.
She eats well, she is very active, her eyes are clear and everything. It's just her shell (and, she makes sound when she breathes, but she's never had a runny nose, I've never seen blood on her, or anything)

Anyways, her plastron looks like this: (this is my first time on this site so I'm sorry if you can't see the picture lol)
IMG_9596.JPG

...And, this is Benjamin's plastron:
IMG_9595.JPG

Frankie's plastron already looked like that when I got her.

Do you think it could be shell rot or fungus? (It doesn't smell bad). Also, I started applying hydrogen peroxide with a soft tooth brush on her plastron and it doesn't seem to hurt her, in fact, I'm pretty sure that she enjoys it.

They go outside for about half an hour to a whole hour a few times a week, as I don't have a UVB light, (but I just ordered one and it should get here on monday)... and I think thats it :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

No, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with that plastron. It MIGHT be that your new tortoise is an intergrade (different species mother from father) or it just could be that the color is different. All of my Texas tortoises have the dark plastrons.

NataliaTG

Mexico
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

No, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with that plastron. It MIGHT be that your new tortoise is an intergrade (different species mother from father) or it just could be that the color is different. All of my Texas tortoises have the dark plastrons.

Thank you so much! :) I seriously really appreciate it n_n It's good to hear that nothing seems wrong with her :)