Fungus/Shell Rot?

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
1406493361074.jpg 1407168023677.jpg 1407168053315.jpg

I'm new to the site. I've owned reptiles my entire life and as of two weeks ago, I added a baby Red Footed tortoise. I am looking for some advice.

Her story started off when she was shipped to Petsmart. A friend works there and told me about her. The tortoise had been in quarantine since December. She started developing fungus on her plastron. I found out she lived in a 5 gallon tank with very moist soil. Had no UVB either. The environment is more or less what caused it. She has been to a vet since December. The only thing they had left to recommend was injections. The store no longer wanted to keep her there and care for her so they decided to euthanize. My friend contacted me two weeks ago to ask so I took her. She's 48 grams. She's living on Cypress Mulch in a 20 gallon and getting bathed daily. Her hot side is 91F and her cooler side is 87F. She has an undertank heater. Her heat light is 100W. She has a high output UVB light. Her humidity is about 60 to 80 percent. She wasn't eating at the store but the first night she was here she ate for hours. She eats numerous times a day here. She has quite severe fungus. I've been debriding the plastron but I'm wondering if there's anything I'm not doing and should? I'm waiting for antiseptic to arrive this week and I was going to buy athletes foot cream today. Thanks for any tips that can be offered. Thanks for the time:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have quite a few threads on shell rot with good info on how to treat it. I have the best luck in the 'search' format by going to Google and typing in "Tortoise Forum - Shell Rot" But you can also use our search feature. I just have better luck on Google.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Randi

Canada
Thank you! Excited to be surrounded with knowledge!

I've been googling for a few weeks but there are so many opinions. I was hoping to find someone who has treated one under similar circumstances. I'd say hers isn't minor. I'll definitely check out some articles on here :)