rot on plastron?

neelia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
hi, i’m a new tortoise owner and i saw these little white spots on the middle of my redfoot’s plastron. is this some sort of fungus or shell rot?

Attachments

• B429899E-AA20-43F8-BC0F-2EA53BE96CA0.jpeg
    B429899E-AA20-43F8-BC0F-2EA53BE96CA0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It could be the start. She needs a dry top layer of substrate while the bottom is damp for high humidity.
You can use some OTC antifungal cream like what is sold for athletes foot on the spots until they are gone.

neelia

Texas
It could be the start. She needs a dry top layer of substrate while the bottom is damp for high humidity.
You can use some OTC antifungal cream like what is sold for athletes foot on the spots until they are gone.
thank you! i bought some cypress mulch today to use instead of forest floor bedding and am planning on moving her over to a new enclosure where i could hopefully keep better humidity. i am currently using a fogger on a low setting which seems like it overdoes the humidity.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
thank you! i bought some cypress mulch today to use instead of forest floor bedding and am planning on moving her over to a new enclosure where i could hopefully keep better humidity. i am currently using a fogger on a low setting which seems like it overdoes the humidity.
ZooMed Forest Floor and cypress mulch are the same thing... And where did you get cypress mulch (members here sometimes struggle to find it)?
Yes, foggers and other humidifiers usually wet top substrate layer and eventually this results in shell fungus. Hopefully, in the new enclosure you can just pour water in the corners to maintain humidity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You need a closed chamber enclosure and not a fogger or a mister.
A closed chamber enclosure will hold in warmth and humidity.
I don't think that looks like fungus. But the Athletes foot cream will do no harm. So I'd probably just use some anyway to be safe.
I reccomend any Redfoot keeper. Newby or not. Have a tube handy just in case.

Last edited: