Plastron Questions, shell rot maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I was checking out my redfoots plastron this morning and noticed what look like several white spots sort of when a person singes their skin but not enough to burn it. Is this shell rot?!

image-3093652860.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
wellington said:
You will get more accurate answers if you post a pic of the area.

Sorry,
Your pic didn't show up until after I posted the above.

LOL we must be posting at the same time:D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It appears it could be the start. Can you get a closer shot of the spots? I know it's a pain to post pics.
Hopefully someone with better experience will come along. She sure is a cutie.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Those extremely small, light-colored areas look to be the start, but it's an extremely mild case. Take a soft bristled toothbrush and some diluted betadine iodine (1 part iodine: ~10 parts water) and lightly clean the affected areas. Since this case looks so mild, I'd say just do the cleaning once (if it were worse, maybe twice). After that apply any clotrimazole anti-fungal cream for 5-7 days and it should be pretty well gone.

If the substrate is constantly wet, you may consider some other options for boosting the humidity while keeping the top surfaces of the enclosure more dry.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ure-via-Heat-ropes-Lots-of-pics#axzz1vYpQ9YqW
http://tortoiselibrary.com/

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
image-312382447.png

image-3192949889.png

These were the places I was concerned with

Unfortunately the substrate isn't too wet. I'm following I think Toms method maybe of letting it dry out and moisten only the hide every few days. I live in louisiana so it's got decent humidity most of the time. The rest of the enclosure substrates stays mostly dry except about once a week I spray it down. She gets mostly daily soaks and drinks during soaks and on her own. Some days I miss a soak but her enclosure isn't staying too wet :(

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I agree with Redstrike on this one. Just keep substrate dry for a few days and apply the cream after cleansing it with the soft toothbrush. It doesn't look too bad..so hopefully you have caught it in time.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
DixieParadise said:
I agree with Redstrike on this one. Just keep substrate dry for a few days and apply the cream after cleansing it with the soft toothbrush. It doesn't look too bad..so hopefully you have caught it in time.

Wow and here I was thinking she had a bad case if shell rot!!! I was so upset this morning :'( torts are like your babies and they can't tell u what's wrong with them it's very upsetting :(

Thanks guys I will change out the substrate and use news paper for a few days and treat it with betadine ASAP!

Redstrike said:
Those extremely small, light-colored areas look to be the start, but it's an extremely mild case. Take a soft bristled toothbrush and some diluted betadine iodine (1 part iodine: ~10 parts water) and lightly clean the affected areas. Since this case looks so mild, I'd say just do the cleaning once (if it were worse, maybe twice). After that apply any clotrimazole anti-fungal cream for 5-7 days and it should be pretty well gone.

If the substrate is constantly wet, you may consider some other options for boosting the humidity while keeping the top surfaces of the enclosure more dry.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ure-via-Heat-ropes-Lots-of-pics#axzz1vYpQ9YqW
http://tortoiselibrary.com/

I just looked over your thread and had a great idea. If I had a big old freezer that was built up about halfway so it wasn't so deep then plexiglas put over the top that would be great because it's water proof big AND insulated so would be great for holding in humidity! I'm gonna see if I can find one!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
DanaLachney said:
Well her shell rot seems to be disappearing!!!! As if it never was

Great! The fridge idea sound interesting, let us know if you go through with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.