Tortoise shell rot?

Viscardi98

5 Year Member
How much space do you have ?
You can buy a bookcase or wooden boards to assemble yourself much cheaper than that little enclosure.

The best I can do is 70 inches long and 50 inches but the problem is I still live with my mum and I don't know how to explain that I will need to use up that amount of space in the spare room.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
You have a redfoot which is starting to pyramid. It is likely to grow to 10-12" (up to 30cm) in length. That enclosure is way too small.

It doesn't really need basking heat as it is a forest species - it needs UVB from a 5.0 tube, high humidity and constant 80F/27C with the help of a Ceramic Heat Emitter.

I'll tag @Anyfoot @cdmay @tortadise for more detailed advice.

Viscardi98

5 Year Member
You have a redfoot which is starting to pyramid. It is likely to grow to 10-12" (up to 30cm) in length. That enclosure is way too small.

It doesn't really need basking heat as it is a forest species - it needs UVB from a 5.0 tube, high humidity and constant 80F/27C with the help of a Ceramic Heat Emitter.

I'll tag @Anyfoot @cdmay @tortadise for more detailed advice.

You say 5.0 tube, what do you mean by that? Also how would you position it in the table, above her or could you attach it to the sides?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You have to explain, gently, to your parents that the tortoise needs a minimum space to be happy and healthy.
A second level with a ramp with side bars may be a way to best utilize your space.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You say 5.0 tube, what do you mean by that? Also how would you position it in the table, above her or could you attach it to the sides?
The tube needs to be mounted about 1' /30cm above the floor of the enclosure.

It's a fluorescent light bulb tube for reptile UVB. 5.0 is the amount of UVB it gives out

@SarahChelonoidis are you about? I an trying to raise a redfoot keeper to advise here :)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
A mature red foot can't be housed in a small space like that. It's not uncommon to see northern red foots up to 16" long - this is a tortoise that will need its own room if it's being housed indoors, not a bookshelf. If space allocation for the tortoise isn't your call, I'd try to make the best of it that you can and create the largest space you have the ability to create - even if you have to go two or three stories (not a natural way for tortoises to be housed, but a way to get in the exercise they need).

I'd recommend reading the advice here: https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/Indoor-Housing/2--enclosures . Mark has detailed options for housing that will be helpful.

If you're thinking of a two story enclosure, light placement becomes more challenging, but look into aquarium hoods that will fit long tube fluorescents - you can attach a hood to the underside of one level, and have another fixture on the top level. You'll need to add plant cover or other spaces to hide in. Heating elements are tricky in small spaces, but I find radiant heat panels work quite well in closed chambers (which I would recommend you look into).

Before investing in new lighting, I'd recommend settling on a new enclosure, as what fixtures will be optimal will depend very much on the space.

Red foots need warm, humid conditions, space to roam, and the ability to get out of the 'sun' (in your case, a uvb light) to find cover. You'll have to provide that however you can.