Does Petsmart Lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Hey guys, I was wondering if Petsmart lies about their tortoises being checked by vets. I have always seen torts in terrible conditions. Also, if the torts were checked by vets, why wouldn't they cure the parasites and sick torts. It sounds to me like petsmart is one big lie.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yeah theres no way they look at every individual animal. They probably just glance at huge groups of animals.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Generally their care is substandard. But from what I see on this forum, it can vary from store to store and state to state.
I would not rely on any care advice they give.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
I agree. They just lie about their vets "checking" the animals to get sales. It just came to me while I was reading a thread on the forum.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Indeed. Complete and utter BS.

It sounds to me like petsmart is one big lie.

Now THAT is the truth!

There is nothing in that store that you "need" for your tortoise, or any reptile for that matter. Anything you require to properly care for a reptile can be had elsewhere for much cheaper and likely better quality.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Keep also in mind, that they aren't going out of there way to find GOOD, EXPERIENCED REPTILE vets. Then too, remember how good tortoises can be at hiding symptoms until, it's too late or close to it. Then there is cost, they would have to be passing on the cost a great Vet exam and meds to the customer. We all want out tortoises at the lowest possible prices, so if you add $50 onto the price while Joe's reptiles is selling for the old price, who will we buy from? So while they may be looked at by a Vet, unless it's something serious it won't be caught or treated.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I think that many of the animals get once in awhile check ups, at the petsmarts that have vet clinics in them. that being said, I dont think they check up regularly at all with the animals that dont fall in the cat / dog category.

Ive been with a few people wanting to buy animals (of all types) from them. I always have them ask for legal medical records indicating exams, physical/lab/imaging finding (if any), treatments, diagnosis, prognosis and recommendations, with a licensed veterinarians signature. Ive seen it many times for dogs and cats being adopted/sold. Ive never seen an official, legal medical record on avain, reptile, small mammal or amphibian animals. They print up a generic form stating this animal has been cleared by a veterinarian. That doesnt cut it

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I see people post complaints on the petsmart facebook page all the time. Sounds like they're going downhill.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
tortle said:
I see people post complaints on the petsmart facebook page all the time. Sounds like they're going downhill.
yes REALLY downhill

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Keep in mind, facebook, twitter, blogs, google reviews, etc, are most causes of business (and personal) downfalls. Nothing as changed in the ways of petsmarts (or petcos) in how they conduct their business and animals. Now, its just more readily available for people to see and read about places (and people) prior to even going in there as a potential customer. If there is a "bad" business or person, back 30 years ago, it was word of mouth (which travels relatively slow) on their complaints and disappointments. Nowadays, 20 milion people can see it in minutes.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Is the grass green ? Is the sky blue? Can birds fly? .... You get the picture!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
alben909 said:
tortle said:
yes REALLY downhill

Sad because it's about the only pet store in my area to shop at.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Jacqui said:
alben909 said:
tortle said:
yes REALLY downhill

Sad because it's about the only pet store in my area to shop at.

i have both petco and petsmart and i personally don't like chain pet stores, but my moms best friend works at petsmart, so i get a lot of stuff for cheap or free :D, and on top of it, their prices are way better, ex: Petco Powersun 100W: 79.99$:/ Petsmart Powersun 100W: 59.99$

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Why go to the petstores at all? I get everything I need either online (even with shipping it comes out to be cheaper), or a home supply store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.).

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
StudentoftheReptile said:
Why go to the petstores at all? I get everything I need either online (even with shipping it comes out to be cheaper), or a home supply store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.).

Because its a 5 min walk from my house........ and home depot is 30 min away drive lol

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:

I like to buy things hands on, I hate buying online as too often it;s not what I expected I would be getting. Plus for me shopping is a social event. I also like to go to pet stores to see the animals. :p :D I just don't enjoy going to Home Depot and other places like that.

amanda712

5 Year Member
Southern CA
PetSmart does not lie. They never said that each and every pet is checked by a veterinarian. They are taken to the vet if they show the slightest sign of illness. However, what you are referring to is the "Vet Assured Program." This program was developed by PetSmart's team of vets, and all vendors/breeders must adhere to the programs requirements. It was established to CHANGE how pet store animals are treated. In the past, there have been several accounts of low quality treatment, but PetSmart is working to change that of which I am proud to shop at PetSmart. Can there be improvements? Yes! Are they at least trying? Yes! Here is the information about the Vet Assured program from PetSmart's Corporate Website.

Vet Assured

Vet Assured is PetSmart's exclusive program of health care for all of the small pets, birds, reptiles and amphibians available for sale in our stores. Developed in 1997 by our in-house team of veterinarians and pet experts, it is a comprehensive veterinarian-supervised care program that includes setting standards for and monitoring the breeding, care and transportation practices and policies of PetSmart's pet suppliers, conducting examinations by our trained associates of all pets before they are offered for sale, and providing expert care to the pets while in stores.

In other words, we are an industry leader when it comes to caring for pets. We play a critical role in ensuring top-quality care that the pets in our stores receive, even before they reach our stores. And we continue to help with the care of these pets well after they reach their new home.

As part of the Vet Assured program:

All pet vendors that work with PetSmart must meet the high standards set by the Vet Assured program. Every vendor must have veterinarians on staff or under contract that oversee and implement aspects of the Vet Assured program. Vendors must agree to ongoing, minimally yearly, inspections (both announced and unannounced) by PetSmart's Vet Assured program directors, and vendors must have all current and appropriate governmental permits and licenses. All violations of the Vet Assured program must be corrected in a timely manner. Repeated or chronic violations of the Vet Assured program may result in the immediate cessation of shipments or termination.
All pets are examined when they arrive in the store by a trained associate, and birds and small mammals are monitored for at least three days before joining the other animals for sale. If a pet should become ill while in PetSmart's care, all Pet Care Associates are trained to handle the situation, including isolating the pet in a designated area, consulting a veterinarian and providing medication under the direction of a veterinarian.
Each PetSmart store has a consulting veterinarian to refer to with pet health concerns. The store utilizes the services of that veterinarian for the care of any pets that become ill or injured in the store, as needed. The Pet Care Manager at the store can also consult with the PetSmart Veterinary staff.
Any seriously ill pets are taken to a consulting veterinarian for examination and treatment regardless of the cost. They are treated according to the veterinarian's recommendations and only returned to the sales floor when healthy. If a veterinarian deems that euthanasia is the most humane treatment, the procedure is performed at the veterinarian's facility using methods approved by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Before purchasing a pet, customers are first informed of possible health risks and disease prevention guidelines. All customers who purchase a pet bird, reptile, amphibian, or small mammal must sign a Pet Sales Record and Customer Contract. This record contains statements pertaining to the care the customer is required to give their new pet. It also explains our 14-day satisfaction guarantee, and gives information about safe handling of pets.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
amanda712 said:
Here is the information about the Vet Assured program from PetSmart's Corporate Website.

Vet Assured

Vet Assured is PetSmart's exclusive program of health care for all of the small pets, birds, reptiles and amphibians available for sale in our stores. Developed in 1997 by our in-house team of veterinarians and pet experts, it is a comprehensive veterinarian-supervised care program that includes setting standards for and monitoring the breeding, care and transportation practices and policies of PetSmart's pet suppliers, conducting examinations by our trained associates of all pets before they are offered for sale, and providing expert care to the pets while in stores.

In other words, we are an industry leader when it comes to caring for pets. We play a critical role in ensuring top-quality care that the pets in our stores receive, even before they reach our stores. And we continue to help with the care of these pets well after they reach their new home.

As part of the Vet Assured program:

All pet vendors that work with PetSmart must meet the high standards set by the Vet Assured program. Every vendor must have veterinarians on staff or under contract that oversee and implement aspects of the Vet Assured program. Vendors must agree to ongoing, minimally yearly, inspections (both announced and unannounced) by PetSmart's Vet Assured program directors, and vendors must have all current and appropriate governmental permits and licenses. All violations of the Vet Assured program must be corrected in a timely manner. Repeated or chronic violations of the Vet Assured program may result in the immediate cessation of shipments or termination.
All pets are examined when they arrive in the store by a trained associate, and birds and small mammals are monitored for at least three days before joining the other animals for sale.If a pet should become ill while in PetSmart's care, all Pet Care Associates are trained to handle the situation, including isolating the pet in a designated area, consulting a veterinarian and providing medication under the direction of a veterinarian.

I worked at a Petsmart for four years and I tell you what is highlighted in red definitely does not take place a lot of the time. Even talking with friends who have worked at other petsmarts, this really only goes for the birds and mammals.

Each PetSmart store has a consulting veterinarian to refer to with pet health concerns. The store utilizes the services of that veterinarian for the care of any pets that become ill or injured in the store, as needed. The Pet Care Manager at the store can also consult with the PetSmart Veterinary staff.
Any seriously ill pets are taken to a consulting veterinarian for examination and treatment regardless of the cost. They are treated according to the veterinarian's recommendations and only returned to the sales floor when healthy. If a veterinarian deems that euthanasia is the most humane treatment, the procedure is performed at the veterinarian's facility using methods approved by the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Again, complete bull. I have yet to encounter a petsmart with a veterinarian that was qualified to treat reptiles. Very few are qualified to deal with birds. Our store often had to consult with outside vets because the "Banfield" vet was too ignorant with any exotics. I'm not calling any such vet stupid; they were simply not knowledgeable in exotic pet husbandry, health & medicine.

amanda712 said:
In the past, there have been several accounts of low quality treatment, but PetSmart is working to change that of which I am proud to shop at PetSmart. Can there be improvements? Yes! Are they at least trying? Yes!

Hardly. Whenever an issue is called out, the company response is that they have to follow their caresheets. It takes weeks or even months to get permission to change something, because the pet care associate doesn't want to get in trouble with his dept manager who doesn't want to hear flack from the store director, who doesn't want to deal with it with the district manager, etc. Everyone is so worried about not making waves, adhering to corporate policy and not losing their jobs (which, in today's job market, I can hardly blame them), that no one wants to step up and say, "You know, that really isn't the best. Let's spend the next 30 minutes to change up the enclosure so this _____ will be healthier."

Jacqui said:
I like to buy things hands on, I hate buying online as too often it;s not what I expected I would be getting. Plus for me shopping is a social event. I also like to go to pet stores to see the animals. :p :D I just don't enjoy going to Home Depot and other places like that.

I dunno...like so many others, I get more discouraged when I walk into a petstore more than any enjoyment. But to each his own...

Aside from stuff I buy at home & garden centers, the supplies I purchase online are often the same things I used to buy in the petstore (Powersun bulbs, Rheostats, ceramic heat emitters, etc.). Ex: A powersun at Petsmart is $59.99. I can get it off Amazon for around $35 free shipping to my house in 2 business days. I'm saving $25. And they don't even sell those rheostats in the stores anymore.

Its just not worth it to me to spend the gas, time and extra money just to see animals that I care about being kept in, at best, mediocre conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.