Does salt water help skin amd scutes shedding?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Just wanted to throw a question in here, because one of my RES has been shedding skin for quite sometime now. So I wanted to confirm this with the people on the forum before trying it out. If I let him swim in salt water (just slightly salted), will it help him shed his skin properly?

(I'm not too concerned about scutes yet as they're still smaller than 3")

Killerrookie

Hmmm I never heard of using salt water to help shedding. I'll wait for a expert to come and tell you if it safe.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have never heard of it being used? does it do that for people? I don't know what it would do to be honest. My concern would be swallowing of the water, how salted would it have to be?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the contributions!

But it's weird, because I have 2 turtles in the same tank but only one turtle is facing this problem, the other is fine, no skin shedding at all. I feed them both the same, once a day.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Are you certain that the shedding turtle has equal access to food & basking spots? Don't be fooled into thinking it's demonstrating a preference. Pay very close attention. You may need to separate them. Or make less drastic changes.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Skin shedding normally isn't something to worry about, he's probably just having a massive growth spurt. I would not do the salt water, I have read of some people trying that with RES on some turtle type forums and they then become severely bloated.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Alright thanks to all! I will not do the salt water and will try my best to watch them and see where the problem lies