Does this seem odd?

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
I have had my sulcata for 2 years in January. Never had a problem but yesterday I decided I better fine a vet just incase, so I called around and decided to take a fecal in. I called today to get results and they said he has "worm" eggs, didn't say what kind but the vet wants to see him to check weight and his condition to decide on treatment.That seems odd to me, is that normal for a tort, because in my world it isn't for any of my other animas!

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
That means he has worms in his stomach. Better deworm it as it is normal for wild caught tortoises to have worms. I assume your sulcata is captive breed and ate some vegetation with worm eggs. Good luck !

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
I understand he has some type of worm and it's normal for all animals to get them from time to time but I have never experienced a vet that needs to see an animal before they will treat for a parasite! Guess I'm paranoid to stress him, he has never left our property since we got him :(

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
He probably just needs to get the weight to prescribe the proper dose. That would be my guess.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have never experienced a vet that needs to see an animal before they will treat for a parasite! Guess I'm paranoid to stress him, he has never left our property since we got him

I do not see any reason that the vet would need to see the tort either...well, that is except perhaps to earn a few office visit bucks...

Anytime a vet does a fecal I am betting that there will always be some type of parasite present...I mean, we humans have some at all times as well and problems would occur if we got rid of them all.

Was your tortoise acting ill or out of sorts? I believe, if it is not broke, why fix it? If your tort is eating, exercising, hydrating and sunning....I would let him be....stress is a huge factor that can create a bad situation as well....and a vet visit is surely a stress trigger.

If you want to help flush him out some...offer him some pureed pumpkin and offer up an extra soak a day for a couple of weeks....this is what "I" would do, just my opinion :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, it doesn't seem odd at all. The de-worming medication is poison. The vet wants to be sure of your tortoise's health and weight prior to administering any poison. Better for him to be safe, than to have a sick/dead tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Strangely, I agree with both sides of this argument.

I would not take mine in, but my vets know me personally and trust my judgement through years of experience with me. They would ask me for the weight, and trust me to truthfully answer any other pertinent questions. If your vet doesn't know you that well, or doesn't know your level of understanding tortoises and treating them, he is smart to cover himself.

And yes, it fairly normal for animals to pick up worms from their environment. Pinworm eggs, for example, can blow in on the wind.

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the advice and opinions! I recently moved him into and indoor/outdoor home (it is a fully enclosed "box" in and outdoor room. (We keep a spare frig and freezer in the room) he hasn't been eating as well as normal or soaking but I'm pretty sure it is just due to the change. Anyway I figure I have never checked him for parasites in the 1 1/2 that I had him and I would just run a sample in. I have always thought he was a little lighter than I think he should be, but what do I know! Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
manetteaplin said:
I have always thought he was a little lighter than I think he should be...

Its good that you caught this. You really might have a problem. Tortoises should be very heavy and dense for their size. If he feels lighter than you think he should, a vet visit might help ascertain exactly whats going on.

Just don't let the vet give him any "vitamin" injections. I don't know why, but many of them want to do this and it can be detrimental in some cases.

Good luck. Hope everything goes well.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
The FDA requires a doctor-patient relationship be established (in the form of a basic examination meeting that states veterinary exam requirements...for small animals means weight, temp, respirations, pulse, plus skin, skeletal, etc etc.). The chart must document findings and abnormalities in addition to basic vitals. Examination must be within a calendar year of the Rx.

Now, with that said, many veterinarians will Rx something simple, such as a dewormer or flea preventative to a pet of an established client they feel comfortable with, and ask the client to supply the weight. Not all DVMs are comfortable doing this, and I've worked with a few that have been taken advantage of, or had a bad experience with, so they won't do fit anymore, especially considering it is actually illegal. And yes, Panacur has an FDA label on it. However, the FDA does make provisions for farm animals, and you can buy many normally FDA labeled products at feed stores.

The DVM is probably trying to be legal, especially if they have never seen you or the animal before.
I get my feathers ruffled a bit when people try to make DVMs out to be stupid money grubbers. I've worked I this industry a long, long time, and worked in small and large practices and I've personally never worked with one trying to squeeze money out of clients, in fact, they all do just the opposite, they do what they can so spare expense, combine meds on multiple pets, take one radiographs vs three, combine a dental with the needed mass removal vs coming back in six months for the dental.

There are a even bad eggs, but it's really uncommon in this industry. If your preferred DVM seems ignorant, politely and respectfully educate them. As stated on this forum before, DVMs are required to study very little husbandry, especially anything other than cats, dogs, horses. On the other hand, us veterinary technicians are the ones usually know more about behavior And husbandry, and do most of the client education and consults. Save the bloodwork interpretation, the cutting, and the sad phone calls for the DVM!! I like being a vet tech. Makes me happy!!

Hope this helps people understand the business a bit better.

-------
Sandy
Oregon-Washington Tortoise Rescue

Mo the Sulcata (4.8 lbs)
Oliver the Sulcata (50 lbs)
Larry the Jordanian Greek
Curly the Eastern Hermanni
....baby Sulcata Franklin on the way!
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji
John the boyfriend stuck in Kansas...so I get more tortoises!

sburgess1217

5 Year Member
My vet will not prescribe any medications unless he sees the client first for an exam.