Dog acting strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville,FL
There is a chance our dog got a hold of a Cuban tree frog that was in the yard. Tonight he was sleeping and it looked like he was dreaming, but would not wake up from it. When he did he was drooling excessively and started to growl if we went near him. Within about 5-10 minutes he is doing better and not growling and the drooling has stopped. Could this be a reaction to eating the tree frog?

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
When I saw the drooling and growling my mind of course went to Rabies, but he is vaccinated and has not been bitten by anything. And now he seems just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had a dog that would eat everything. Once he ate a bunch of mushrooms that had sprung up over night in the yard. I saw the mushrooms but figured he'd leave them alone. When I went back to bring him in the mushrooms were mostly gone. Within 30 minutes he was acting strangely. He had drooling, the shakes and some minor convulsions. Hours later he was fine.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
No it's fine my dog dreams all the time and you should always always always let a sleeping dog lie.

It kinda sounds like your dog got high though Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some species of mushrooms are seriously toxic. Deadly toxic. And they are very difficult to ID sometimes.

All frogs have some level of toxicity to their skin too.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I would just watch him and keep him hydrated. Whatever he ate should pass through his system. I have heard that about dogs foaming when eating toads. I would research that a little more...

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It could definately be a reaction to the frog, Most frogs are covered in a substance which is not toxic but stuns the predater slightly, Unles it was a dart frog or another poisonus frog i dont think there is anything to worry about.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I also had a dog that ate some mushrooms and had the same reaction as Tom's dog. We got her to the vet, and she acted like nothing had ever happened, all except for a bit tired. Doesn't take long for things to go through a dog's digestive tract.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
Thanks for all the responses! He is doing fine now. Whatever it was seemed to have passed through his system and he is back to his normal self. It was very strange and scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.