Doing more research.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
So I have seriously pulled up everything that would come up on google search pertaining to Aldabra printed it off, went thru it and sectioned it off and compiled it into one source. So far what I have come up with is you would pretty much raise an Aldabra hatchling using same guidelines as a Sulacta hatchling. Temps are more or less same, same thing with humidity levels. Diet looks identical, from the data it looks like they can have some fruits that the Sulcata can't but varied grazer diet is the major component. I have seen nothing about shell rot. So please any and all aldabra owners, does this seem right? Am I missing something in my research? I strictly live by Toms care sheet when it comes to my Sulcata Hatchlings so that is what I have compared all this to for reference. Am I missing anything? An important detail that is off from sulcata care???

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Last year at the reptile show in Mesa ,AZ . We had a speaker talking about neck growth inthe Aldabra torts . I'm not saying anything bad about the Aldabra torts we all love them . But you may want to resurch and talk about it . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Last year at the reptile show in Mesa ,AZ . We had a speaker talking about neck growth inthe Aldabra torts . I'm not saying anything bad about the Aldabra torts we all love them . But you may want to resurch and talk about it . Have a great tort day !

Ok thanks, I will check into that.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Have a look on here, it may help but I'm not too sure http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/20408/
ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER
Oh yes, I spent most of day yesterday reading that. I seriously think I have compiled everything that has the word aldabra in it. Lol. This thread will pop up on Google too. Which when I did research for the sulcata, I did same thing and thAts how I found this forum. What a blessing. The info on sulcata care is seriously all over the map, everything I read said something different but w the Aldabra it's kinda matching up. I found a few things that said use sand or pellets for bedding, which I know is wrong, but for the most part, it all kinda mashed together. Now w my Sulacata, I lucked up and got advise from people who have successfully raised health ones, which to me is the best info u can get. So now, that's what I'm looking for w the Aldabra.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee

Ok so as soon as I seen your replay this morning I started looking for this. I can't get anything to pull up except why their necks are long. Can u give me more detail about what this guy talked about, or his name, perhaps I can pull some info up that way. And thanks for bringing it to my attention. There will probably never be any type of "tortoise conference" in my area or a reptile show, nothing like that, so it's the big internet world for me.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I believe it was Mr. Fife he has rote some tort books he has 5 acres in southern AZ . He's a real nice man to talk to ( him and his brother ) or maybe you'll have to plan a sml. Trip the therd. Weekend in Nov. to the Mesa reptile show . Good luck

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I

I have read a few things about goiters but it's mainly followed up with a list for foods to avoid. Are the Aldabra prone to things like this?

* I have never seen an Aldabra with this condition, however and unfortunately i have seen and know of many Galops that have this issue! I have always heard that it was diet based.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Holy cow that's a big one. What kind of diet are they getting that causes this?
BTW, when are you getting your Aldabra? Baby?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Holy cow that's a big one. What kind of diet are they getting that causes this?
BTW, when are you getting your Aldabra? Baby?
I can't remember most of them but I do remember that on every list broccoli was always the first listed. And yes, plan on becoming the proud parent of a baby aldabra. I am hoping around January. I'm waiting on an available one. I'm so excited I can't stand myself.