New Owner of Baby Aldabra Tortoise

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
gotcha, so I could just use like 2 CHEs and run them day and night on thermostats? I dont have to have flood bulbs.
Yes, the CHEs don't produce any visible light, they are there to heat the enclosure up. They will make a warm spot that the tortoise might choose to bask in, I try to place the probe of the thermostat close to this spot.

You are going to need some additional lighting so you and the tortoise can see. You probably won't run the UV bulb all day. I run it for 4 hours mid day, 10am to 2pm. This is what I use the led strips for, some people use the flood bulbs for this. There are a lot of ways to do this. You should really check out Tom's lighting thread, it explains it much better than I can.

You need to get moving quick on these heat sources ASAP if you have him inside right now.

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
Yes, the CHEs don't produce any visible light, they are there to heat the enclosure up. They will make a warm spot that the tortoise might choose to bask in, I try to place the probe of the thermostat close to this spot.

You are going to need some additional lighting so you and the tortoise can see. You probably won't run the UV bulb all day. I run it for 4 hours mid day, 10am to 2pm. This is what I use the led strips for, some people use the flood bulbs for this. There are a lot of ways to do this. You should really check out Tom's lighting thread, it explains it much better than I can.

You need to get moving quick on these heat sources ASAP if you have him inside right now.
yea moving as fast as I can rn, he has a halogen that keeps his "basking spot" at 99F. His enclosure right now is ambient 82 and ranges 80-88 humidity through the day as I mist etc.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
yea moving as fast as I can rn, he has a halogen that keeps his "basking spot" at 99F. His enclosure right now is ambient 82 and ranges 80-88 humidity through the day as I mist etc.
That’s good news.

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
That’s good news.
Greenhouse comes tmrw and I plan on having a shower rod run through the top, and will mount UVB and LED to that, while also having the domes that have the CHEs hang from the rod. Substrate will be the coir and bark. Using clay pots for water and food and will provide diet that was talked about earlier. Anything else I seem to be missing?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Also, just wondering, how come CHE over DHP?
Seems like you have everything covered. There is some science to the height that the UV bulb needs to be mounted. (Again, probably covered in Tom’s thread).
I use both CHE and DHP, they seem to do the same exact thing but the CHE are much cheaper.

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
Seems like you have everything covered. There is some science to the height that the UV bulb needs to be mounted. (Again, probably covered in Tom’s thread).
I use both CHE and DHP, they seem to do the same exact thing but the CHE are much cheaper.
so only real reason to go CHE over DHP is price then? also I have a solarmeter on the way to make sure UV bulb is correct height!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so only real reason to go CHE over DHP is price then? also I have a solarmeter on the way to make sure UV bulb is correct height!
DHPs make heat in a way that desiccates the carapace more which will cause more pyramiding. Use the CHEs. RHPs are actually better than both of those, but you need a ceiling to mount them to.

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
DHPs make heat in a way that desiccates the carapace more which will cause more pyramiding. Use the CHEs. RHPs are actually better than both of those, but you need a ceiling to mount them to.
Is ceramic infrared heat emitter and ceramic heat emitter the same thing?

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
Thanks, setting up new greenhouse enclosure today and tmrw and will post finished photos and updates here!

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
Hey all, enclosure is all finished and looks great. Was wondering now what kind of plants/grass etc would be good for in there, also wondering if you guys know of any simple things I can do for a hide. Thanks!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I wouldn't put any grass in there. Pothos plants make good decorations but you need to be cautious buying plants from the store as they have almost certainly been treated with pesticides recently.
You can use an upside down black plastic storage container with a hole cut in the side for a hide. The ones they sell at home depot that have the bright yellow lids work great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all, enclosure is all finished and looks great. Was wondering now what kind of plants/grass etc would be good for in there, also wondering if you guys know of any simple things I can do for a hide. Thanks!
I use upside down black dishwashing tubs from Walmart for hides. I cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise and enlarge it as the tortoise grows.

Grass won't live in an indoor enclosure. I get cuttings from long established plants to make potted plants for enclosures.

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
Thanks! Also wondering what I should aim for, for daytime/night time ambient temps like what range?

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
@dd33 Had a few quick questions, so do they truly not need a "basking spot", enclosure is ambient 86 during day and 80 at night, is that daytime too hot. Also wondering since they dont need a basking spot do they need a hot spot at all.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Those temperatures seem fine to me.
I don’t think it needs a basking spot but that is just my opinion. You are going to have warmer areas under the CHE lamps, watch to see if it hangs out under them.

Smith.Tyler

Orlando, FL
Those temperatures seem fine to me.
I don’t think it needs a basking spot but that is just my opinion. You are going to have warmer areas under the CHE lamps, watch to see if it hangs out under them.
Thanks ill keep an eye on him, at what ambient temperature does it become to high?