dollar weed/ penny wart

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Hi!! I recently moved to Florida and I'm struggling to find natural growing weeds to feed my Russian. I found this in my back yard, Floridians call it dollar weed, tortoise table calls it pennywart. It is safe for him to eat! Can anyone ID the pics I took as dollar weedView attachment 353922View attachment 353923

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Try looking it up on TheTortoisetable.org

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Plantain, honeysuckle, opuntia cactus, and dandelions are good choices. My Russian loves the plantain weed

Reactions: Ink

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I recently moved to Florida and there is a weed in my yard that I can possibly feed Sheldon. People here call it dollar weed but I think its called pennywart. Can anyone confirm this is safe and the pennywart that tortoise table says is safe to feed him 20230203_182954.jpg20230203_182945.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think they will initially eat anything that they were started on, whether it's good for them or not. But I would not let them eat anything unidentified or not recommended for the species.

Reactions: Ink

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
There are lots of plants that go by dollar weed; this one is Hydrocotyle umbellata and yes it is safe if your tortoise will eat it. My Russian has a hard time with the stems as they are so stringy. She'd be likelier to eat it, I think, if she could graze it for herself.

The one listed in the Tortoise Table is an entirely different plant. That database is tilted to foods found in the U.K. and isn't going to be that useful in your climate. You'd likely do better to search in this sub forum for the name of a plant you're wondering about to see what other owners have found.