Dried food advice

Location (City and/or State)
leeds
Hi all! I am moving into a flat next month and will no longer have a garden so i am looking for a healthy alternative for feeding my hermanns. In the winter i first tried the zoo med grassland pellets but he would not eat them, i then tried the mazuri pellets and he went mad for it but i have just read that they are not good for your tort. I have seen somthing called pre alpin and was wondering if it is good for your tort or is there anything better? Thanks!

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
What about growing soil-less sprouts/microgreens in your flat? Super easy/ inexpensive to do especially if you have sun, and if you rotate trays he could have a fresh tray of grass/ greens every day! Tons of videos on YouTube how to do it. Since you did have a garden I think this could be a walk in the park to do. Could be the most healthy alternative since you know what goes into growing and choosing the seeds to grow.

My sulcata gets mazuri during the winter 2-3 times a week along with other stuff ofcourse. He likes it and is from what I've heard, mazuri has great success.

leeds
What about growing soil-less sprouts/microgreens in your flat? Super easy/ inexpensive to do especially if you have sun, and if you rotate trays he could have a fresh tray of grass/ greens every day! Tons of videos on YouTube how to do it. Since you did have a garden I think this could be a walk in the park to do. Could be the most healthy alternative since you know what goes into growing and choosing the seeds to grow.

My sulcata gets mazuri during the winter 2-3 times a week along with other stuff ofcourse. He likes it and is from what I've heard, mazuri has great success.
To be honest it didnt even cross my mind to grow my own haha, will definitely look into doing it, thanks!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Pre Alpin Testudo is the only dried food recommended by the folks who run the Tortoise Table plant site.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I've never heard anything bad said about Mazuri. Out of curiosity, what did you hear?

That’s all the information they provide on their site, that it’s the only one they recommend. I’m sure you could ask them what they like about it; they seem to be very prompt with feedback.

Most of the breeders here feel just fine about Mazuri. I don’t believe we can get Pre Alpin here, so it’s unlikely we can have a full comparison anyway. :)

A British breeder might have a preference; @Anyfoot is the only one I know offhand.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
That’s all the information they provide on their site, that it’s the only one they recommend. I’m sure you could ask them what they like about it; they seem to be very prompt with feedback.

Most of the breeders here feel just fine about Mazuri. I don’t believe we can get Pre Alpin here, so it’s unlikely we can have a full comparison anyway. :)

A British breeder might have a preference; @Anyfoot is the only one I know offhand.
If you mean the mazuri website, I've never read anything on there, but it seems to be highly recommended by many people - I don't actually use it though! My Russian seems to have suddenly started loving ZooMed's Grassland pellets, which is weird because he would straight up refuse them and pick out anything that was mixed in them before.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If you mean the mazuri website, I've never read anything on there, but it seems to be highly recommended by many people - I don't actually use it though!

No, I mean the website for the Tortoise Table—the place where we send members to look up plant safety: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php#.WnHooSSIbmo. They have a small forum with its own diet subforum and I’ve noticed they respond prettly quickly to food questions. Or you could probably email them directly at http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/contact/#.WnHoSCSIbmo.