Dried foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I was reading an article in tortoiselibary and I got curious. Does anyone feed there tortoise dry fruit, or veggies?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Lilithlee said:
I was reading an article in tortoiselibary and I got curious. Does anyone feed there tortoise dry fruit, or veggies?

I dry weeds and dark green leafy veggies, then mix them 50/50 w/ soaked Marion Red Sticks, as a part of my torts' overall diet.

My torts rarely get fruit, other than a strawberry each, about once a month, as a treat...much more throws off their digestion (diahrrea).

OTOH, some tortoises (redfoots, for instance) eat some fruit naturally, and dried fruit might be fine for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always been afraid to use dried fruits because of the sulpher they use in the drying process.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I think she is referring to a small bit about storing excess produce- drying foods at home when they are in season, etc. (http://tortoiselibrary.com/omni-diet.html)

Home-dried foods do not last as long, and loose some nutrients in the process- but can offer a lot of cheap nutrition and variety in the off-seasons. I have not bothered myself, but I've heard from others who have done it and their torts have eaten it.

I only tossed that bit in since I hear so often from people who are frustrated because they buy a bunch of produce and their tortoises only eat a little of it before it starts to go bad.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Madkins007 said:
I think she is referring to a small bit about storing excess produce- drying foods at home when they are in season, etc. (http://tortoiselibrary.com/omni-diet.html)

Home-dried foods do not last as long, and loose some nutrients in the process- but can offer a lot of cheap nutrition and variety in the off-seasons. I have not bothered myself, but I've heard from others who have done it and their torts have eaten it.

I only tossed that bit in since I hear so often from people who are frustrated because they buy a bunch of produce and their tortoises only eat a little of it before it starts to go bad.

Yep that's what I was thinking. I was just seeing what other thought. Guess I should have been more specific. Sorry about that.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I think it's a great idea, especially for the winter months. I am freezing some of the squash that I am growing to use during the winter months.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I dry nutritious weeds, like alfalfa, clover, dandelion, plantain, strawberry leaf, raspberry leaf, rose and hibiscus petals, etc, and in the winter I sprinkle it on the grocery bought greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.