dried food?

Stormy Rose

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Because winter is coming up, and I wont be able to grow fresh greens in my backyard, I figured I could save money by mixing grocery store greens with bulk dried foods. I was wondering if anyone used dried greens as a supplement with fresh greens from a grocery store, and if so where I could buy them online? And would you keep them dry, or soak them before feeding?

Thanks!
p.s. if anyone has any suggestions on how you grow greens indoors that'd be appreciate too!

Alaskamike

South Florida
A Company called Tortoise Supply has seed mix that is very good. You can grow indoors with a UVB light. I've used a plastic under the bed type container ( wallmart) filled with potting soil. Keep damp and they grow like crazy.

I also use Mazuri Tortoise food.

That same company sells a dried herbal / weed mix that is very good. I dampen the Mazuri and sprinkle the dried herbs on it. All my guys gobble it up.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Over the summer I have dried mulberry leaves and hibiscus and squash blossoms for this purpose. I also have a few pounds of dried Moringa and use that now. I also use dried, wetted grass year round for long fiber.

The grocery greens are often moist enough from rinsing and spinning that the dry things stick.

There are many places that sell dried 'for human consumption' herbals in bulk, so the premium for specialty packaging is much less. This way you can get plantain, mushrooms, rose hips, clover, alfalfa, marigold, etc., many choices. Broken into smaller portions it freezes well for longer term storage. This is how I got the moringa.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I like ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food. I moisten it with a little water and make it into a mush. All my torts love it. I mix it in with the regular greens. It's all natural and high in fiber.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I like ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food. I moisten it with a little water and make it into a mush. All my torts love it. I mix it in with the regular greens. It's all natural and high in fiber.
My hermann's likes it, but the Russian tortoises won't touch it.