Dry Pellets for Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

R114

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any dried pellet foods that are good for russian tortoise hatchling? Mine is about 4 months old. I feed it spring mix, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, a bunch of seed mixes I've bought online, supplements, and aloe for a snack. I was thinking about adding some dried pellets in just for variety and would appreciate any recommendations, thanks.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
You could try grassland zoo med pellets or mazuri but they need to be soaked/moistened

Luka Martin

5 Year Member

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
theelectraco said:
You could try grassland zoo med pellets or mazuri but they need to be soaked/moistened

These are good to add for variety. You dont need to soak it, many do. If you choose to feed it dry then break it up a bit for your little guy.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
These are good to add for variety. You dont need to soak it, many do. If you choose to feed it dry then break it up a bit for your little guy.

They don't *need* t be soaked, true, but from what I've read on here, most only accept it dry. I, for the life of me, can't even get my tort to eat the zoomed soaked.

....just got the idea after reading this to try the blocks dry. Threw them in a blender to chop em up and put it in a bowl....my tort is actually eating it!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
theelectraco said:
....just got the idea after reading this to try the blocks dry. Threw them in a blender to chop em up and put it in a bowl....my tort is actually eating it!

so your torts avoided the pellets soaked, but actually ate them dry chopped up?

that's cool to know.

I used to soak, then sort of wet, now i toss in any pellets (when they are fed) barely moistened or simply just misted when i mist the enclosure. I haven't fed it fully dry just yet.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
I agree. Mazuri and the grassland foods can be good to supplement with. My little RT is 4 months old too and I could not get him to eat it on his own even when wet for the life of me. I saw a suggestion on here in an older post to get it damp and to make a mush out of it and put in on a leaf and kind of roll it up like a burrito. I did this and it worked PERFECT for my little man! So if you do end up getting the grassland (which you can get at places like Petco and Petsmart) or the Mazuri (can buy online) or both this is a great way to actually get them to eat it! I soaked and mashed up a pellet of eat and made little burritos and sandwiches. I wish I could find whose it was that suggested this so I could give them credit!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
theelectraco said:

so your torts avoided the pellets soaked, but actually ate them dry chopped up?

that's cool to know.

I used to soak, then sort of wet, now i toss in any pellets (when they are fed) barely moistened or simply just misted when i mist the enclosure. I haven't fed it fully dry just yet.

Yup! At first he was kinda freaked out when he took his first bite because it got stuck all over his mouth but after a few bites he got the hang of it. I'm gunna try it this way a few times and then try to add water.

Status
Not open for further replies.