Komodo Tortoise Diet Pellets - thoughts?

HelloBella

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North of England
I'm having to keep my Russian tort, Bella, awake through this winter but am concerned about her diet as the weeds start dieing back in the cold weather. I've been experimenting with the greens available in the supermarket to replace Bella's diet of weeds for this period but she really doesn't seem much of a fan (so far only winner is kale) and I'm concerned she won't get all the nutrients she needs from supermarket greens alone. I had avoided dried pellet food up until now but I found a small pot of Komodo Tortoise Diet pellets (dandelion flavour) going cheap o thought I would give them a go - Bella loves them! Only food I see her get as excited over is grapes.

What are people's thoughts on a diet of kale and Komodo food - with weeds when I can find them - until spring comes round and I can get Belles back outside again? Or any other tips on finding yummy/nutritious shop bought greens?

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
HelloBella said:
I'm having to keep my Russian tort, Bella, awake through this winter but am concerned about her diet as the weeds start dieing back in the cold weather. I've been experimenting with the greens available in the supermarket to replace Bella's diet of weeds for this period but she really doesn't seem much of a fan (so far only winner is kale) and I'm concerned she won't get all the nutrients she needs from supermarket greens alone. I had avoided dried pellet food up until now but I found a small pot of Komodo Tortoise Diet pellets (dandelion flavour) going cheap o thought I would give them a go - Bella loves them! Only food I see her get as excited over is grapes.

What are people's thoughts on a diet of kale and Komodo food - with weeds when I can find them - until spring comes round and I can get Belles back outside again? Or any other tips on finding yummy/nutritious shop bought greens?

I feed store greens daily and komodo pellets once a week. I mix the pellets with pre alpin testudo herbs (which is a mix of many dried weeds). My greek loves the mix even though she wont eat the pre alpin dried weeds alone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have heard that the Komodo pellets are similar to what we here in the states use - Mazuri. Quite a few UK folks use the Komodo pellets.

In my opinion, fresh greens should be the main part of the diet, and the pellets should be more like a supplement. You can buy fresh greens in the grocery store. I think one of the types of greens the UK'ers buy is called Rocket Salad mix.