Dry shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Just a question, our 6month old tort has a very dry shell, how do we conquer this and is it because she was badly treated before I got her??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I guess it would determine what you mean by dry shell? could post a pic or two so we can see?

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Heliopteryx said:
Have you been soaking her? How often, if so?

Yes I do :) I soak her once a day for 30-45 mins and I spray her every so often!!

dmmj said:
I guess it would determine what you mean by dry shell? could post a pic or two so we can see?

I will get pics up once she wakes up, she's grumpy if woken and doesn't talk to me!! :D

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I'm telling you, a good soak and some vitamin E oil works wonders. Just use a soft brush and brush off the excess under warm running water, it even keeps the growth lines white on my sulcata for about 2 days. Great for moisturizing. No sticky residue, and no other "crud" like vitashell.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
Weda737 said:
I'm telling you, a good soak and some vitamin E oil works wonders. Just use a soft brush and brush off the excess under warm running water, it even keeps the growth lines white on my sulcata for about 2 days. Great for moisturizing. No sticky residue, and no other "crud" like vitashell.

You can put vitamin E on them? I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to put anything on their shells. I have a Red Foot that always has a dry shell. I soak her every 2 days and try to keep her enclosure humid. I have also been spraying her daily but no change. Shes always dry. Although she spends a great deal of time under her basking bulb, even tho her tank is warm. Not sure why but I am sure that's why she's so dry all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.