Dry Skin and Peeling šŸ¢

Maria_Z

Location (City and/or State)
Geismar Louisiana
Hey guys!
I been noticing that my small box turtle has dry peeling skin. Itā€™s mostly around the neck area. I heard that turtles can shed. I just want to double check if itā€™s normal. And also what I could possibly do to help with the dry skin and peeling.
Thanks šŸ™šŸ»

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hey guys!
I been noticing that my small box turtle has dry peeling skin. Itā€™s mostly around the neck area. I heard that turtles can shed. I just want to double check if itā€™s normal. And also what I could possibly do to help with the dry skin and peeling.
Thanks šŸ™šŸ»
They do shed, but box turtles need a lot of humidity. In fact, they rely on water as they are closely related to aquatic turtles. Pictures of your set up would help.

Just up that humidity. Hope this helps.

Maria_Z

Geismar Louisiana
They do shed, but box turtles need a lot of humidity. In fact, they rely on water as they are closely related to aquatic turtles. Pictures of your set up would help.

Just up that humidity. Hope this.
For my enclosure this is the current set up I have for now. Since I just got my baby not too long ago I havenā€™t had the chance to get the best enclosure/set up yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3521.jpeg
    IMG_3521.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3522.jpeg
    IMG_3522.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

Maria_Z

Geismar Louisiana
With box turtles, think more "bog" than "forest"...they love it wet.

How old is your little friend?
Honestly Iā€™m not too sure. I got my baby July of 2023 so about almost maybe either 8 or 9 months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3497.jpeg
    IMG_3497.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3290.jpeg
    IMG_3290.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Honestly Iā€™m not too sure. I got my baby July of 2023 so about almost maybe either 8 or 9 months ago.
Looks phenomenal. Nice smooth growth. Honestly, I don't see much if an issue. Just mist it down a bit more when things dry out.

Your already planning on a bugger set up so I say your doing just fine.

And for the future, look into an outdoor set up. These guys are cold hardy and can brumate through the winter just fine.