Ear Abscess

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't think anyone REALLY knows why turtles get ear abscesses, but here's what Sandy Barnett, Herpetologist, says about it:

Chelonians normally have some bacteria living in their mouth. These bacteria can proliferate to an unhealthy level when an animal’s immune system is compromised, resulting in stomatitis (mouth infection) and migration of the bacteria up the Eustachian tube(s) into the middle ear(s). Compromised immune function can potentially result from any type of improper husbandry that chronically stresses an animal (e.g. suboptimal temperature and humidity, excessive heat, When the End is in Sight Sandy Barnett www.boxturtlefacts.org June 25, 2010 3 malnutrition). Thus poor husbandry can ultimately lead to mouth and ear infections. Hypovitaminosis A (Vitamin A deficiency) is a predisposing factor for middle ear infections (as well as other serious health problems). It causes changes in the cells lining the Eustachian tubes and middle ear that make the tissue more susceptible to colonization and infection by bacteria. Also, sloughing cells tend to accumulate in the tympanic cavity, contributing to the pus plug. Hypovitaminosis A is most common in omnivorous or carnivorous chelonians, especially juveniles, which are maintained on a diet of unsupplemented greens (especially iceberg lettuce), muscle meat, and poorly formulated commercial diets. Herbivorous chelonians less commonly suffer from Vitamin A deficiency, as they often receive a diet high in dark leafy greens and/or forage that is rich is ß-carotene, the plant precursor to Vitamin A. Poor sanitary conditions commonly lead to ear infections, especially in aquatic and semi-aquatic chelonians. Animals that ingest fecal-contaminated water over an extended period can fall victim to colonization of their oropharynx with pathogenic bacteria, which in turn may ascend the Eustachian tube(s) and enter the middle ear(s). Trauma is sometimes the cause of ear infections. The tympanic membrane may be punctured accidentally on enclosure furnishings or by getting hooked on the claw of an enclosure mate. Even the family cat may be the culprit! Left untreated, the wound could become infected. Ear abscesses are frequently seen in wild eastern box turtles (Terrapene carolina), particularly in early spring. Many of these turtles also suffer from stomatitis. It is likely that many of the affected animals entered their last hibernation in suboptimal health, and could not mount an adequate defense against an overgrowth of mouth bacteria when the turtles first emerged in the spring (S. Boylan, pers. comm). Finally, there is some evidence linking exposure to immuno-suppressing organochlorine pesticides to ear abscesses in wild eastern box turtles. However, the data to support this claim are limited.

That sounds reasonable to me. I found a gulf coast box turtle this a.m. with a very large swelling on the side of his head. I brought him in the house and proceeded to lance the abscess. Too bad I didn't think to take a 'before' picture, but this is what came out:

contents of ear abscess.jpg

If you wait until the abscess is completely ripe, all the contents come out as a hard, encapsulated ball of gunk. When you can get it all out like above, chances are slim of the abscess coming back. If you try to lance it too soon, while the pus is still in the semi-liquid stage, it's hard to get it all out, and you run the risk of reinfection.

From the look of this abscess it had broken the skin, but failed to empty. The edge of the pus ball that was exposed to the air was black and dry. I only had to enlarge the opening a tiny bit for it to jump out at me. Then I flushed the cavity with Betadine, making sure there was no more pus inside, and the turtle was good to go. He will have to live in the house for a week or so until it scabs over so no flies can lay eggs on the wound.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Thanks for sharing, it was very interesting.. that includes the wonderfully detailed gooey parts at the end. Yay for the mental image of encapsulated puss balls jumping out at you. My imagined ball of yuck even said RAWR!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't think anyone REALLY knows why turtles get ear abscesses, but here's what Sandy Barnett, Herpetologist, says about it:

Yvonne, thank you for posting this! Fascinating! I haven't had to deal with an ear infection, but now feel much better educated to prevent one.