early signs of pyramiding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordell

5 Year Member
I have a question. I was looking at Dots today and I can see he has grown a bit. I got to looking at his shell and there are what I call growth marks between the scutes. These growth marks are somewhat wide with indents or valleys between the scutes. They are flush with the scute though, not sure if you can get that from the pic or not, but there are not bumps on him. Is this a early sign that pyramiding is to come? OK 2 questions, should I see Dots drinking water like my Boxie or does his water come from food?

Thanks
cordell

6cedcc24.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Most likely Cordell what you described is "over-feeding". Being opportunistic as they are they will eat as much as possible before hiding from preditors! It has a lot to do with WHAT you are feeding as well as how much. They eat a lot less of more nutritious greens, etc. than more "empty" lettuce, etc.

You should see him stick his whole head under water when he drinks! And I trust you don't have Dots and your boxie living together.

Can you show us how you have Dots set-up?

The redfootcare link in my sig. might help some too.

Terry K

cordell

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
Most likely Cordell what you described is "over-feeding". Being opportunistic as they are they will eat as much as possible before hiding from preditors! It has a lot to do with WHAT you are feeding as well as how much. They eat a lot less of more nutritious greens, etc. than more "empty" lettuce, etc.

You should see him stick his whole head under water when he drinks! And I trust you don't have Dots and your boxie living together.

Can you show us how you have Dots set-up?

The redfootcare link in my sig. might help some too.

Terry K

I am following the food types in your site, the greens 2 days fruit for one. I will admit I am probably feeding to much! He will eat and eat 24/7, eat in my hand, eat on the table, he will eat any where he finds food. He is not shy at all when it comes to his food. Here are a few pics of his enclosure.

In thinking his water dish is to shallow (see last pic) that could explain the drink I never see him take. I gave him a soak this evening (when I noticed the growth rings) and he took the most poop (seriously a lot of it!)I ever seen for such a small tortoise! He ate like a pig right after that too!

thank you for the help
cordell
PS. they are not housed together...

the heat is over his hide...

70c7f086.jpg

this is the right side of enclosure, his hide is under that big leaf and gets 15 seconds of mist every 3 hours from a Habba Mist by zoo med...

2c17de6f.jpg

this is the cool side, he dont go here much, i figured he would like the log hide but he avoids it sticking to the leafs...

626fdc5a.jpg

long view, i am begining to think his water dish is to shallow!

4123ad90.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.