Eastern box won't eat greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
Any suggestions on how to get her to eat some greens? Idk any background info (she was abandoned on my porch about 2 weeks ago) since then, I've only been able to get her to eat earthworms...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I make a "turtle buffet" with 50% protein (usually chicken, trout chow, a little high quality cat food, turkey, blood worms ... etc.), 30% veggies, 10% fruit, and 10% greens. I mix all this together and then feed it to them. When they take a bite of the chicken - they get a little bit of greens ... etc. Soon, they develop a taste for all kinds of foods. (I usually make this turtle buffet ahead of time, freeze it, and keep it on hand for when I don't have time to chop up fresh foods. Then I can just thaw it and feed it. (I also put cod liver oil on their food once a week, calcium once a week, and TNT once a week.) Good luck!!!

TsarRescue

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Atra42o said:
Any suggestions on how to get her to eat some greens? Idk any background info (she was abandoned on my porch about 2 weeks ago) since then, I've only been able to get her to eat earthworms...

Hi,

My box turtle, Lily, is fussy about greens, too. She will eat the odd romaine or dandelion leaf, but prefers other veggies. And at this time of year she is VERY into protein. My vet (who is experienced with exotics and has a box turtle as well) isn't overly concerned since Lily gets calcium supplement and eats well otherwise. I also gut-load crickets and pill bugs with the greens she won't eat before feeding them to her.

That said, I have had luck tempting her by floating the greens in her soaking water. She seems to like eating them that way the best. Maybe yours will like it, too...

Best of luck and enjoy your turtle. Sounds like she was lucky to land on your porch!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I got my boxies to eat greens by mashing up soaked reptomin sticks and covering the greens in that.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I chop up, (tiny pieces) sweet potato (cooked) carrots (cooked) greens, mushrooms, strawberries (or cantaloupe or some kind of berry) soaked turtle brittle, and add a bit of ground venison (it's Wellness dog food, venison and sweet potato, if you can't get the ground venison) each week I put different greens and veggies in the mix. Chop up some worms and put them on the top of the mix. Once a week I sprinkle some calcium on top. Eventually stop putting the worms on top, and just offer them as a treat in the afternoon. This is what I do if someone gives me a little rescue and they won't eat anything but worms.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks for all this GREAT advice!! I got her to eat grated carrots, chopped grape tomatoes n strawberries all mixed together... She did eat a little bit, not much, but it's a start :) I'm definitely going to try all of these to c if I can tempt her... Ill let u guy know how it worked out!! Thanks again for the suggestions everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.