Feeder fish from petstore

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
What type of feeder fish can I feed my 3 year old Eastern box turtle that are easily available at a pet store? I've been feeding her feeder goldfish since I got her four days ago, but have heard feeder goldfish are high in fat. And I can't get her to take any interest in any greens. I plan on getting some earthworms soon. She took a little interest in a tomato, but still wouldn't bite it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
besides being fatty, they are high in copper sulfate. Not a good feeding choice.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I've heard little minnows out of ponds are good, that's what I'm trying next. But that requires effort/fighting Mosquitos. I know you're asking about fish, but if you're looking for food options, Mine really enjoys hard boiled eggs with smashed shells (white only) and scrambled egg with shell. The shell provides calcium, I was told this by our local rescue. Good luck :)

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
txturtle13 said:
I've heard little minnows out of ponds are good, that's what I'm trying next. But that requires effort/fighting Mosquitos. I know you're asking about fish, but if you're looking for food options, Mine really enjoys hard boiled eggs with smashed shells (white only) and scrambled egg with shell. The shell provides calcium, I was told this by our local rescue. Good luck :)

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Thanks, I'll definitely try that. So I just take the yolk out right? Just out of curiosity, why does the yolk have to be removed?

txturtle13

5 Year Member
That's just my general practice, I've seen someone else post the same also. When I cook eggs for my dogs (rare treat for them) and myself, I also scramble 1egg yolk:3egg white ratio (the yolk is high in cholesterol). So I don't know if there's a particular reason for boxies. Someone else may have input! :p

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy frozen sardines (bait sardines sold at bait shops) occasionally for my turtles. But mostly I feed them fruits, trout chow, vegetables, chicken, bugs and worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.