Need help with a feeder roach problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Does anyone know any kind of feeder roach that I can get in Florida. All of the feeder roaches that I have found aren't allowed to be shiped to Florida. This is driving me crazy, lol. I have a bearded dragon that I was starting to consider feeding him Dubia roaches.

Please help :(

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)
1 Bearded Dragon (Dante)
1 Shih-tzu/Llasa Apso (Suki)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry. Don't know a way around that one. You'll have to find someone close by. I don't know anything about the legalities of this, but I do know that people in FL DO have feeder roaches.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Oh no, http://gregsdragons.wordpress.com/2009/09/29/feeder-roaches-care-sheet-setup/ and other sites says that they are all together illegal in Florida. :(

Is there anything else that can be used other than crickets? I seen some people selling fruit flies. Are they good for BD?

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)
1 Bearded Dragon (Dante)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
spikethebest said:
what about meal worms?

People were saying that they didn't have that much protein like the crickets and roaches. I was considering superworms...

I also seen some fruit flies. Does anyone know if fluit flies are good for them?

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)
1 Bearded Dragon (Dante)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fruit flies are tiny and are used to feed baby chameleons, dart poison frogs and mantids. They are too small even for hatchling beardies.

I'm pretty sure that its illegal to SHIP roaches to FL. I don't think its illegal to have roaches in FL.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it is illegal I am sure many people are breaking the law just by having the pests in their house, Non food type.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
What about capturing and raising native roaches or palmetto bugs? The original, adult generation might be too risky to feed because of what they may have been exposed to, but wouldn't the newer generations be safe to feed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
chairman said:
What about capturing and raising native roaches or palmetto bugs? The original, adult generation might be too risky to feed because of what they may have been exposed to, but wouldn't the newer generations be safe to feed?

This is what I would do. Many species can't climb smooth surfaces or fly, so they can be easily contained in plastic storage bins. I use the 18 gallon size and put some screen over some vent holes. 12x12" egg flats separated by cardboard gives them someplace to live and feel comfy, so they can get down to "business". If you post close up pics, I'll try to ID what ever you catch, so you'll know what you are dealing with.

Here's a couple of pics of some of my bins as an example:
5bya2u.jpg

and7i1.jpg

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
pheonix worms are an excellent food source and be ad from kingsnake.com or directly from pheonixworms.com. Silkworms and goliath worms can be purchased from mulberry frams and the eggs are eas to rear on your own. I like the pheonix worm best for beardies, b/ f te f content of caterpillars. super worms are fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.