Eating for Russian Torts

Ghstbstrgrl

So, my russian torts love eating green apples. So much so that they are choosing the apples over their greens. Has anyone else encountered this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Actually, you're offering them candy. No wonder they like it to the exclusion of other food. Russian tortoises should not be given fruit. They're not built to handle that much sugar and it may cause a parasite bloom.

Welcome to the Forum! Many Russian tortoise keepers here and we're glad to have you join us.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mandy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum
I doubt this is very good at all.
Too much acid in apples, pips contain cyanide, Russians eat broad leafed greens (mainly).
A little won't do a great deal of harm, but definitely not instead of their greens.
Tortoises are like children, they will take chocolate, crisps and ice cream over healthy food every day, but it is our job, as the responsible adult to ensure they eat a healthy diet.

Ghstbstrgrl

Thanks for the responses. I give them kale and greens, romaine lettuce occasionally and the apples are offered as a snack, they are small pieces and I peel them first. They just tend to eat them faster than anything else. I have had them for 2 weeks. They were rescued from a home where the owner couldn't handle them anymore, but she malnurished them and they were UV deprived, so her (Sally) she'll is deformed :-( she is 15 and happy though. Jack is 7. My friend had them for a year, they were surrendered to a pet store.

Ghstbstrgrl

In initial enclosure eating their kale lol, they have an awesome custom enclosure now.

20151009_170725.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghstbstrgrl

Thanks. We're still trying to figure out their likes because they wouldn't eat apples for my friend but do for us, so they are liking new things apparently lol. We are trying to figure out how to get their beaks filed down, when our friend initially rescued them Sallys beak was below her bottom shell, it is now looking a lot better but needs to be shorter.

AnimalLady

If you feed them on slate, or even an upside down tile that should help their beak. Also, don't cut up the food and let them chomp away. If that doesn't seem to help, but it should, you can always file their beak or take them for a trim at the vets :)

Ghstbstrgrl

Awesome thanks. They are such pretty babies, I'm glad they are in a better home than from a year ago. We are feeding them on a rock that almost is pumice stone feeling so we are hoping it helps their beaks and nails.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Have you read the "Beginners' Mistake Thread and different care sheets on Russian tort?

By the way, you have cute torts! GOD bless.

Ghstbstrgrl

I have read a lot of care sheet material, I try to research as much as I can. Thank you btw for the compliment on the babies.