eating issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyklown

5 Year Member
brought iggy home yesterday morning. i figured i would give him a day to settle in. temp is 88 degrees with 24% humidity.. i am trying mustard greens and some carrot shavings. he wont even look at them. i know that at petsmart it was Romain and pellets. should i go back to that diet or try and wait him out with the greens?

LindaF

5 Year Member
I am no expert, but he is probably still really scared and getting used to his new home. Keep trying with the greens. You might try a spring mix. Make sure there is a warmer side and a cooler side to the enclosure and bump up the humidity. Is he a red foot? If you are using a bright light as your heat source he most likely won't like it and will hide. If you are sprinkling with calcium/D3 he might not like that as well. Try without it to see if that is the issue.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi! What kind of tort is Iggy? 24% humidity, that is REALLY low, how do you stand it that low. I am pretty new to torts myself but think that 24% humidity is too low for just about any living thing :D JMO. I wouldnt think you would want to go lower than 40% (for arid torts and 60% for RF) and then have a couple different hides - one that is warm and moist. Are you soaking or misting him/her? what are you using for substrate? Do you have a basking spot where it can go that has temps in upper 90's. It takes a few days to adjust to new environments so may not come out and eat as much at first. I however would definately raise the humidity some.

Pics would be GREAT! Good luck and welcome to the forum. You will get great advice from other (more knowledgeable) tort keepers. :D

krazyklown

5 Year Member
yes he is a red foot no calcium/d3 yet i was going to wait until he is eating better. i an using a 150watt uva bulb and a 0.5 uvb bulb with and infured for nighttime
one side of the tank is 88 and the other side is 81 humidity is a problem i keep misting the tank and am adding a humidifier to the room today

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
The temprature is a little high,but not much.Mid 80's is ideal. 24% is way too low.Redfoots thrive on humidity,it's hard to get too much for them.Try misting the sustrate and partially covering the enclosure. You could offer a piece of banana,but be forewarned.Bananas are like crack cocaine to a redfoot.They love them,but can easily get addicted to it.lol Not something you'de want to feed every day,but OK to use to jump start him.I've had new redfoots that took over a week to start eating.The only thing that concerns me is the fact that he was eating and then stopped.Are his eyes clear?Is his breathing labored?Any discharge from the nose?

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
krazyklown said:
yes he is a red foot no calcium/d3 yet i was going to wait until he is eating better. i an using a 150watt uva bulb and a 0.5 uvb bulb with and infured for nighttime
one side of the tank is 88 and the other side is 81 humidity is a problem i keep misting the tank and am adding a humidifier to the room today

Okay a redfoot need HIGH humidity - need to get the humidity up to 60-80% as soon as possible. This could be your issue. Mine does not like it when it falls below 60% will stay in his hide most of the time. I almost think it is hard for them to breath when it is too low. I would also give him a good warm soak (chin deep) since it has been so dry.

Here is a care sheet that I find to be VERY helpful; http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

krazyklown

5 Year Member
well doesn't it figure i put up hes not eating and when i came in to read what people wrote hes sitting in the middle of his dish chomping away on the carrots as for humidity i am thinking of taking a humidifier and running a tube rate into the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.