Eating new substrate

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I bought a big bag of Repti Bark (fir bark) about a month ago from Pet Mountain. I finally opened it up and put a thin layer on top of the soil in the tortoises enclosure. The only problem is, khaleesi keeps trying to eat it. She actually did eat a small piece. Im not sure if i should take it out or not. Input some food in her food dish so she is eating that now. I know substrate eating could mean vitamin deficiency but she didnt eat the soil in her enclosure before. Im thinking its because the bark is something unknown and has a brownish redish color to it.
Any suggestions or thoughts?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
could be simply curiosity. They try to see if practically everything is edible. Is your tortoise still doing it?

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
could be simply curiosity. They try to see if practically everything is edible. Is your tortoise still doing it?
No. She ate 2 small ones before i put more food in the dish. Shes done eating now. She looked down at the new substrate for a little and now is just basking on top of it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
do you have a red basking light?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No. She ate 2 small ones before i put more food in the dish. Shes done eating now. She looked down at the new substrate for a little and now is just basking on top of it.
Based on what you said in your second post, I think she is just experimenting it, and will stop eating it. Please keep us updated.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Based on what you said in your second post, I think she is just experimenting it, and will stop eating it. Please keep us updated.
I hope so. She still looks down at it but hasnt eaten any more yet.
Im still keeping an eye on her.
And him

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My tortoise has eaten dirt and rocks, but shortly after discovering the taste, she decided she didn't like it very much! :) I think the same will most likely happen with yours.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Linhdah.Tell me please how are your torts doing today? Hope thing are better.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hi Linhdah.Tell me please how are your torts doing today? Hope thing are better.
HI! I'm not sure. i'm at work. But yesterday there was no more bark eating or gazing down at it around bedtime. I put more than enough food in both their dishes this morning so hopefully its all good. Its almost noon here and my boyfriend isnt awake yet to give me an update -_-
Thanks for checking up ! :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
HI! I'm not sure. i'm at work. But yesterday there was no more bark eating or gazing down at it around bedtime. I put more than enough food in both their dishes this morning so hopefully its all good. Its almost noon here and my boyfriend isnt awake yet to give me an update -_-
Thanks for checking up ! :)
Hope to hear all is well with no more bark eating. ;) Please keep me updated. Good luck!:D