EBT eggs Update - HATCHING!! :)

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
I couldn't believe this! My Eastern box turtle eggs are hatching thanks to all that helped here on tortoise forum! This really is a miracle! The began hatching yesterday, and one has fully hatched since then, one is partially hatched, and the other two aren't cracked. The one that hatched, "Sugar", is absolutely beautiful and adorable! Looks very healthy, yolk sac looks normal, takes little naps and then wakes up and walks around! So cute! Sugar is a little bigger than a quarter. This is so exciting! :) Thanks for the advice everyone!! :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381083596.698876.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381083689.067962.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381083779.218027.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381083795.527527.jpg

Any advice on raising the hatchlings? Can I still soak them with the yolk sacs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pameladale

5 Year Member
At what temperature & how many days have they been incubating for?
Congrats what a cutie

billskleins

5 Year Member
I always get excited when I hatch something.
It never gets old.
Congratulations!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Yay! Adorable, congrats! I just found my two surprise babies... It was like Christmas :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Wait till the yoke sack is absorbed before soaking them, this can take a few days. I usually set mine up in a tub with soil moss mix, and plants and leaf litter. I soak them every few days and offer worms and insects. It can be tough to get them to eat at first but keep trying. They can go awhile without food too, so don't get to worried if he doesn't eat right away

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Congratulations! Adorable and very exciting!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Adorable!

<3 Husband : 2 Dogs : 4 TT Box Turtles : 1 Betta Fish

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, congrats. They are adorable. How exciting for you. I can hear it in your post. That's really nice.

5 Year Member
Thank you all for admiring the new babies. They seem very healthy and I'm getting a ceramic heat emitter this weekend to keep the temps in the mid-80s with a high humidity. Their yolk sacs are almost fully absorbed. The other two eggs aren't hatching, but they feel heavy, so they'll probably hatch! I've attached a picture of the hatchling enclosure. Any suggestions? I've been keeping the terrarium moss nice and moist, and they enjoy burrowing in it. The other side is for the 2 eggs, so they can also obtain a high humidity. The light is UVB and UVA incandescent for tropical, recommended for the terrarium size. The turtles are doing very well! :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381531611.254507.jpg

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
How very cool. So adorable. What does Momma look like?

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381548735.482560.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381548850.985890.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381548861.101966.jpg
Momma was wild. Long story, but she ended up laying eggs on the top of the ground while she was walking around in the yard. I'd taken care of her for a few weeks after my cousin found her on a road, and she brought her to me knowing I love turtles. I decided releasing her was the best thing to do, after spending the recent weeks foraging in my yard for worms and slugs, as well as the fruits & veggies I offered her. She was set free - but left me the best gift of all. Babies! :)

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199 said:
Momma was wild. Long story, but she ended up laying eggs on the top of the ground while she was walking around in the yard. I'd taken care of her for a few weeks after my cousin found her on a road, and she brought her to me knowing I love turtles. I decided releasing her was the best thing to do, after spending the recent weeks foraging in my yard for worms and slugs, as well as the fruits & veggies I offered her. She was set free - but left me the best gift of all. Babies! :)

Such as lovely present, Momma entrusted you with her babies! Congrats on your newbies!