EBT sexing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
I'm trying to learn how to determine sexes in EBTs. I have read and viewed all info, but am having a hard time. Can anyone help to validate or determine?

Pics 1 & 2 -- I feel 100% sure this is pic of male tale/cloaca. Does anyone disagree?

Pic 3 -- I feel about 95% this is pic of female. Does anyone agree/disagree?

Pic 4 -- I am leaning towards female. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for any help/input! :)

Attachments

• SAM_0180.JPG
    SAM_0180.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • SAM_0179.JPG
    SAM_0179.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • SAM_0181.JPG
    SAM_0181.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • SAM_0183.JPG
    SAM_0183.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 62

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
1 & 2: Male
3: female
4:male We need full pictures to verify. I rarely even look at their tails to sex.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you...as soon as the rain ceases here, I'll go get some more pics. :)

1 & 2 has red eyes and is really concave; also very colorful on head, neck, forelegs -- also attributed in my male verdict

3 has brown eyes w/some orange -- not concave; way less colorful on neck, throat, head

4 has brown eyes and is in between the other 2 in relation to concave bottom...not nearly as much as the one in pics 1 & 2

Here's a pic from a few days ago of the male in pics 1 & 2

Here's the one from pic 3 above that i believe is female

same as one from pic 3 above (female)

This is getting confusing b/c it's my first time posting pics and they're not uploading where I want them! lol, sorry

the final one will be the same as pic 4 above -- the one i'm least certain about

the last pic here is the body that belongs to the fourth one above... i was told it was a female but feel there are signs that it's a male

Attachments

• SAM_0177.JPG
    SAM_0177.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • SAM_0176.JPG
    SAM_0176.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • SAM_0178.JPG
    SAM_0178.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you both very much for your help and input. I will try to post better pics of the last one later just to be sure. :)

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
I know this post is confusing...I apologize. I'll try to do better next time. lol

Regarding first 4 pics:

Pics 1 & 2 are same turtle -- I think clearly a male and everyone seems to agree.

Pic 3 -- I felt was female and everyone also seems to agree.

Pic 4 -- I was told female, but cannot tell. I will def. post some better pics.

Thank you all for your help! :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Get pictures of the last one again. A few more we can help I'm leaning toward male still but we can confirm it

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Sorry for the bad pics...in the group pic, it's the one in the front.

Attachments

• SAM_0185.JPG
    SAM_0185.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • SAM_0186.JPG
    SAM_0186.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • SAM_0187.JPG
    SAM_0187.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • SAM_0189.JPG
    SAM_0189.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • SAM_0190.JPG
    SAM_0190.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • SAM_0191.JPG
    SAM_0191.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • SAM_0192.JPG
    SAM_0192.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • SAM_0195.JPG
    SAM_0195.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • SAM_0196.JPG
    SAM_0196.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • SAM_0197.JPG
    SAM_0197.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • SAM_0198.JPG
    SAM_0198.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • SAM_0202.JPG
    SAM_0202.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
1= male 2=male 3=female 4=female

The fourth is female , the tail is slightly long for a female but the hind feet are way to small to be male. Males always have larger back legs and feet even in juveniles.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
diamondbp said:
1= male 2=male 3=female 4=female

The fourth is female , the tail is slightly long for a female but the hind feet are way to small to be male. Males always have larger back legs and feet even in juveniles.

Oh my goodness, the turtle you have pictured is gorgeous!

Thank you for your response.

Gangreene said:
2 males 1 female

Thank you for your help.

yagyujubei said:
I'm sticking with male on that one. It seems a bit younger.

Thank you for your help as well. :) I don't know if it's younger or not...the group pic has the male (back right) that I pictured at beginning and the one that I'm getting varied opinions on in front. They both weigh almost the same 1.2 & 1.3 lbs. respectively.

Millerlite said:
Get pictures of the last one again. A few more we can help I'm leaning toward male still but we can confirm it

Thank you. Has your opinion changed or stayed the same?

Len said:
4 looks female to me

Len, thank you as well. After seeing the new pics are you still thinking female?

terryo said:
yagyujubei said:
1 & 2: Male
3: female
4:male We need full pictures to verify. I rarely even look at their tails to sex.

Looks that way to me too.

Thank you, Terryo. I tried using all the methods I've found, but can't quite make up my mind...lol As far as back feet, etc. I haven't found enough threads or read enough or have the experience enough for this method, but have saw many use it as a reference point. What do you usually go by?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
That last one seems tricky because he is younger. He still looks male, his conclaves plastrons and shell shape in general yell male. It does have small feet but the shell to me make me think male. Younger male

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I have several females with slight concave plastrons, flatter shells,and even red eyes .So although those are the first things you would generally look for when sexing, it goes beyond that to head shape and size, feet/leg size, cloaca shape etc.

It's always possible that its an odd male or female since I've been stunned myself by discovering a different sex than I originally thought.

Does it show any telling behavior around the other females? Or is it ever mounted by another male? Just curious

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
My female has red eyes, eyes are the least accurate on my opinion. I also go by shell shape. He has more of a bean look then a high dome. All of which can change. But idk still looks male more I look at it. He tail throws me off cuz some picture it looks long others looks short. I would check out behaviors with others as well. He/she has features of both male and female.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
diamondbp said:
I have several females with slight concave plastrons, flatter shells,and even red eyes .So although those are the first things you would generally look for when sexing, it goes beyond that to head shape and size, feet/leg size, cloaca shape etc.

It's always possible that its an odd male or female since I've been stunned myself by discovering a different sex than I originally thought.

Does it show any telling behavior around the other females? Or is it ever mounted by another male? Just curious

Hi, thank you for your help. I've read that plastrons can be slightly concave on females and compared to the obvious female and obvious male, this one is in the middle...yet another thing perplexing me. lol I have only had them for about 2 weeks, so I'm just not sure regarding behavior yet. I have yet to see any mounting between the 3 of them.

I would say these are my observations:

As far as eyes, I would say female.

As far as head shape, I would say female but that's just from my experience through research and looking at tons of EBTs.

As far as plastron, I'm on the fence. I don't know if it's slightly concave b/c it's younger as others have suggested or if it's b/c it's a slightly concave female.

As far as feet/legs, I just don't have enough experience for this. lol

As far as color, could go either way.

As far as cloaca, again, I'm on the fence. Sometimes, I think def. female. Sometimes, I think possibly male. lol

As far as shell shape, I don't really have the experience. However, I feel that it's shell is def. shaped more like the obvious male...flared at bottom and more flat than the obvious female. I thought this may be b/c they are related?? IDK, I just don't have the experience for this one.

As far as behavior in relation to the other 2, I would lean towards male just based on the fact that it doesn't seem to want to feed with the obvious male, but is also a little shy with the obvious female at times. However, I haven't had them long enough to be sure that any of them are comfortable yet or to know their usual behavior.
Another reason is that the person I got them from said the male had lost weight over the past few months...the vet couldn't find any parasites in stool sample, but this could be fluke and I haven't found another one yet to be tested...He has since gained some weight and is looking much better. However, it made me wonder if perhaps they are/were intimidating each other...even though I haven't observed this. They were being wintered in the garage together. Idk if any of this is important or accurate...just my intuition. I also know that every turtle is diff. and has a diff. personality...just like people, they are not all going to like each other or get along...so, again, could or could not be sexual based/motivated.

Millerlite said:
My female has red eyes, eyes are the least accurate on my opinion. I also go by shell shape. He has more of a bean look then a high dome. All of which can change. But idk still looks male more I look at it. He tail throws me off cuz some picture it looks long others looks short. I would check out behaviors with others as well. He/she has features of both male and female.

Maybe I have a hermaphrodite... *grins* I def. agree that it has characteristics of both! Either way, I just adore him/her...I just am trying to decide whether or not to separate them...and whether or not I need to look for 0.2 or 1.2 LOL

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Haha I agree!

As far as conclaves plastrons it's weird cuz the side shot looks like its a big concave the other side looks slightly concave. Can you take one of it just flare to see how big the cave is?

As far as separating them I wouldn't unless you see some aggression or any sighs like that. Either way its a great looking turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.