Eco earth substrate

Noah101

Location (City and/or State)
Cedar grove nj
How much eco earth substrate do I need for a 8x4 Russian tortoise enclosure, and also is this a good substrate To use?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much eco earth substrate do I need for a 8x4 Russian tortoise enclosure, and also is this a good substrate To use?
I prefer orchid bark for adults. Coco coir can work, but it will be messy and difficult to keep damp in an open topped enclosure. Two 10 pound (4.5kg) blocks will be needed for an enclosure that size.

RobertFlak

5 Year Member
Spokane Washington
I would not use 100% coco coir (Eco Earth) as it dries out very quickly and often presents an unnatural almost fluffy surface I can't imagine tortoises are happy walking through.
I got some coco coir in my indoor tortoise pen, but I mixed in some organic topsoil and put a thin layer of cypress mulch on top to help trap moisture.
For a Russian you'd want it several inches deep.

Noah101

Cedar grove nj
I prefer orchid bark for adults. Coco coir can work, but it will be messy and difficult to keep damp in an open topped enclosure. Two 10 pound (4.5kg) blocks will be needed for an enclosure that size

Is repti bark the same think as orchid bark and if so dose it have bugs in it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is repti bark the same think as orchid bark and if so dose it have bugs in it
Yes it is the same.

Bugs in it? Why would I recommend a substrate that has bugs in it? No substrate has bugs in it unless you introduce bugs into it, which happens with all substrates.

Noah101

Cedar grove nj
Yes it is the same.

Bugs in it? Why would I recommend a substrate that has bugs in it? No substrate has bugs in it unless you introduce bugs into it, which happens with all substrates.
What kind of orchid bark should I get ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What kind of orchid bark should I get ?
There is only one kind of orchid bark. It comes from fir trees. If buying it packaged for reptiles, it will be "fine grade". If buying in bulk from a nursery or other commercial source, you will need to request fine grade. This denotes the size of the particles, but they are all made from the same type of bark, regardless of brand. Repti-bark from ZooMed is a great brand.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
There is only one kind of orchid bark. It comes from fir trees. If buying it packaged for reptiles, it will be "fine grade". If buying in bulk from a nursery or other commercial source, you will need to request fine grade. This denotes the size of the particles, but they are all made from the same type of bark, regardless of brand. Repti-bark from ZooMed is a great brand.
Actually Tom our orchid bark in the uk isn’t made from fir trees, but is made in such a way that it’s safe for use🙂 you might recall this thread I made about it👍