Edible for us =edible for them?

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Hi, just wondering if this is how it works...if the plant or weed it not toxic to us then it's safe to feed to our torts ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Except some plants, greens, etc aren't good for them. Won't be poisonous to them but not good/nutritious for them. For example, head lettuce. It's edible by both, but not really any good for a tort, unless your needing to hydrate him. It has really nothing of value in it, except the water content. Then it could be used, but for a short time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It depends on the species of your tortoise as to what is good for them to eat.

Russians, Greeks, Hermann's, Sulcatas and Leopards cannot digest sugars properly, for example, so seeet foods like fruit, bell pepper, carrot and tomato should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally... if at all. Banana must not be fed.

They also shouldn't eat high protein foods like egg, meat, peas and beans.

Some foods that we eat are high in goitrogens or oxalates and those aren't good for any species.

When it comes to fruit, veg, weeds and greens check them out by looking them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. It's here

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Thanks! It's not that I don't know what foods are good or not so good for my type, it's identifying the outside plants and weeds that are okay for them. I can't seem to view most all the photos and a lot of the weeds are elsewhere in the world. I'm in Alberta. For instance is Canadian thistle okay for them if it is safe for us to consume?
Thanks!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Pretty much all thistles are safe foods.

It’s pretty overwhelming at first, I know. But it gets easier as you go along. Something that helped me figure out plants in my area was just searching Google for things like “common weeds of <insert your area here>. Or “plant pests of <insert area>. You can start familarizing yourself with pictures and names you find and eventually they’ll start to look more obvious when you’re outside.

Alberta is a big place! Are you in a city or out in the middle of nowhere? Knowing where you are and what kinds of shops are near to you will help us give suggestions.

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Pretty much all thistles are safe foods.

It’s pretty overwhelming at first, I know. But it gets easier as you go along. Something that helped me figure out plants in my area was just searching Google for things like “common weeds of <insert your area here>. Or “plant pests of <insert area>. You can start familarizing yourself with pictures and names you find and eventually they’ll start to look more obvious when you’re outside.

Alberta is a big place! Are you in a city or out in the middle of nowhere? Knowing where you are and what kinds of shops are near to you will help us give suggestions.

Thanks! I am just south of Edmonton a mile and I live on a farm.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thanks! I am just south of Edmonton a mile and I live on a farm.

Hmm. The only thing I know about Edmonton is that it has very cold winters!

You're on a farm so you probably know what plants have been sprayed and which haven't; that's a good thing.

Are you growing crops or pigs?! If it's crops, you've got problem weeds all over, perhaps? We can probably help identify some of those if you can get a good picture. Post your mystery plants and pictures in their own thread in this forum. Put "Canadians help!" somewhere in the title.

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Hmm. The only thing I know about Edmonton is that it has very cold winters!

You're on a farm so you probably know what plants have been sprayed and which haven't; that's a good thing.

Are you growing crops or pigs?! If it's crops, you've got problem weeds all over, perhaps? We can probably help identify some of those if you can get a good picture. Post your mystery plants and pictures in their own thread in this forum. Put "Canadians help!" somewhere in the title.

LOL a little chilly at times!
We have a horse farm and there is no spraying anywhere on the property.
Thanks! I'll do that!

Shellys Mom

Hi! I also live in Alberta, just North of Edmonton. I too have wondered about the thistles as I have tons that grow in my yard

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Hi! I also live in Alberta, just North of Edmonton. I too have wondered about the thistles as I have tons that grow in my yard[/QUOTE

I think those would be called good old Canadian thistle