Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Muscle

5 Year Member
So my horsfield tortoise has laid 3 eggs, and i was wondering if they looked healthy and fertile or not?

image-3085340252.png

This one is 4 weeks on. It has a huge sir bubble at the top, and no visible blood vessels or anything, just the big dark region at the bottom.

image-3748371818.png

This one 3 weeks

image-1234529129.png

This one two and a half. Has a dark blob near the top

Thanks for any help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mr Muscle:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

They don't look fertile to me, but I'm not an expert on tortoise eggs. Were the eggs found on top of the ground, or did she dig a nest hole?

What would you like us to call you?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
STOP messin' with'em! Just leave them alone and don't worry about it. You'll know in a few months if they are fertile or not. :)

There have been MANY times that I hatched a baby out of an egg that I nearly threw away cause I thought it was bad or infertile.

Mr Muscle

5 Year Member
Hey it's Matt :) Mr Muscle is the dad of the eggs.

I definitely won't throw them away, just incase!
They were all found just laying on the ground, with no apparent attempt at burying.
The first egg is the one i have the most doubt in, it just looks like all solid has gathered on the bottom and all the air at the top :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When eggs are laid on the ground, they usually are infertile, but it can't hurt to incubate them and see what happens.

findingotis

5 Year Member
My tortoise has only ever laid eggs on the surface, most of which have produced perfect little torts! So definitely keep them and see what happens. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.