Eglantine Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
SO, I finally got the chance to talk with the man who came to me "interested in adopting" little Eglantine.

We were instant messaging, and I was getting the lowdown on his care. I asked about UVB lighting, bulb type and brand, substrate, enclosure size, soakings, vet visits, his boxie experience...

After I asked him how long his quarantine period was, and if the animals were kept in a seperate room from the main "turtle" room, he was quiet. I gave him ten minutes, and then said, well, I will think about it and get back to you.

I then got the automated response "You no longer have sufficient permisions to chat with this person"

He had removed me from his list and BLOCKED me!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? What did he think? That I was just gonna hand her over to the first person that said, yeah, I'll take it? I was so ANGRY. I stayed up an extra 45 minutes to talk to him, and had an early class this morning!

Because of this, I realize that I will have to rehabilitate her myself. I want her healthy before I start looking for a new home for her. Unfortunately, I have no funds for her. I usually use my surplus financial aid money (from school) for my reptile endevors. But one of the grants that I get every year, ran out of money, so instead of a couple hundred dollars back, I get a whoppin 36$.

I have set up a "fundable" for Egg because of this. Its a way to collect donations from people, for a good cause. In this case, her vet bills.

I have set an estimated 300$ for her bills, because she will need an initial exam, blood tests, and a fecal, as well as topical treatment for shell rot, and her beak done (and I do not know if she has any other parasites--so I am asking enough to cover anitbiotics if she has them)

I posted this on craigs list, and only one kind woman has responded thus far, bless her. The problem is people do not feel sympathy towards reptiles like they do towards dogs and cats. To most, she is "just another turtle"

I thought posting this here might be better--you all know her story, and know how she has been suffering. I hope that some, can find it within their limits to donate.

No presure though, really. I am just posting this here, because I can't think of anywher else. The smallest donation is 10$--that's one movie ticket to most people. I am hoping to get even that, but if I don't reach my goal, no one is collected from. If I get 60$ and my time expires, no one donates anything. It only collects the full amount or nothing.

Thanks everybody......

http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-09-08.4833888297/groupaction_view

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Thats so mean of the person, phew I would get so mad if that happened to me !!!! I'll see what I can do about donating !!!! :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Its depressing me more and more that I have gotten no response (not necessarily from this site)

On craigslist, 1100$ was raised in less than TWO WEEKS to help a puppy have leg surgery. But no one has even asked about donating for her there. I am sad that reptiles are so disposable to so many.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hi Meg,
I just pulled up the link and tried to donate $30 through Paypal, but then it pulled up a page asking me to register on fundable, which I did, thinking this was necessary to put through my donation, but instead I wound up being asked if I wanted create a fundable donation account. Sometimes technology is totally confusing, and that sucks.

So, I will check my Visa account and see if the donation went through, and if not, you can send me your address through a private message and I will just mail you a check. Good luck, I hope you get tons of donations. Reptiles are lucky critters to have you as an advocate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I tried to donate too, but it was too difficult for me to figure out. I got to the part where I asked for it to take the money out of my PayPal account, but it said I needed to back it up with a credit card. My PayPal account is backed up by my checking account. Couldn't figure that one out. I'll send you a PM to get your address and send the money that way.

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
If anyone cannot use the paypal, but would still like to donate,

I appreciate anything anyone can do. I am adding on a second bin to her enclosure, and hoping that she can soon go to the vet. She is very lethargic lately, won't move unless I move her, and still no interest in food. :(

Thanks everybody.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
We're up to 50$ in online donations...Thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed anything so far.

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
Hi Meg,
I just wanted to check in and see how Eglantine was doing? I hope everyone is hanging in there~ all the best, Jenny Dawn

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She still doesn't want to eat for me. Her first office visit is going to cost 65$ alone. I have received some donations so far, and I am IMMENSELY thankful!

A big thanks to the TFO members who have helped little Egg out so far, thank you Yvonne, and Stephenie Logan! We really appreciate it!

chadk

10 Year Member!
It's been a while since i've seen any updates on this. Do you still have Eglantine? Are you still looking for donations??

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
chadk said:
Do you still have Eglantine? Are you still looking for donations??

That's what I want to know too! I hadn't seen this thread until today.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I do still have Eglantine. She's doing as well as expected. She soaks, moves about, and refuses to eat anything that isn't wiggly. I have wasted a mass quantity of fruit at this point. I have tried EVERYTHING. Mazuri as well. She hasn't lost more than a couple of grams though, so I try not to stress her with further interaction.

The only herp vet in my area has been booked, or out of office when I'm free because he's only in office two days out of the entire week, and this semester I had class till 7pm on those two days (mon and wed). I'm trying to get Egg an apt over break for her beak. I've tried cuttle bone, and feeding (pssh feeding ) on a tile to try and start wearing it down but I don't see much difference.

If anyone would like to make a donation, (I would REALLY love some trout chow--I hear the smell makes them go for it) drop me a PM and I'll get you my addy. Thanks for thinking of us though, its really heartwarming to see.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She's attracted to the wiggle. I've even tried cutting them and mixing them in with the fruit. She picks them out, the silly girl. Thanks for the suggestion though!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If she will eat worms, let her have as many as she wants. When you go to the vets, take a jar of babyfood carrots and ask him/her to tube feed her. That will help a little.
good luck
Patsy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Do you still need trout chow?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yes. I would LOVE some. :) I can't find it anywhere by me, or online is less than 20lb bags. I only need like a gallon ziploc bag full, if that.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Meg, I have not been on a whole lot lately and missed this entirely. Have you tried turtle brittle? I have it for my boxies and could send you a small bag of it. I moisten it, mash it and mix it with squash and other things. When I first got these boxies , they were the same way. Only wanted to eat wiggly stuff. It worked really well. Let me know. I could also provide housing come spring time. If you decide you need to head to the Jersey shore you can bring him!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I would LOVE anything you guys have to send. Trout chow, turtle brittle, love :D. Me and Egg really appreciate it!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to go to the post ooffice on tuesday(ebay auctions) I don't have a gallon but I should be able tosend some. Of course there is always some up at auction at my tuirtle clubs annual plant auction also.

Status
Not open for further replies.