Egyptian Hatchling Enclosure Help!

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Okay, so I recently purchased an Egyptian hatchling and thought I had everything set up correctly.

Apparently not.

My hatchling is having some eye problems, in the sense, when he's in his cage, he doesn't open his eyes, but after having been soaked and dried, and left out of the cage, he is fine and walks around with wide, alter, open eyes!

I found out I'm allergic to oyster shell, so that option went out the window. I talked to some other people who told me top soil and coconut fiber where a good alternative. I'm able to keep a steady percentage of humidity, about 25-30% all day long, so I figured it might be my bulbs, right? That must be why he's keeping his eyes closed.

So I switched my bulbs, which were a 75 watt heating and a 13 watt UV bulb. Now I have a 50 watt heating bulb and a 25 watt heating bulb on the other side and he SEEMS to being doing fine. I just put them in this morning though, so I'll let you know if he's still okay tomorrow.

But what else can I do? What bulbs work best for everyone else? Why doesn't he keep his eyes open?!

Maybe a hatchling was a little too advanced for me );

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I use decomposed granite for substrate, and use a 100w MVB. I have never used those low watt UV bulbs. Many on here have reported many issues with harming the eyes. Its mainly hearsay from what I gather. But seems to be another story establishing they are no good. Stick with a MVB on these guys. You can get decomposed granite at home depot too. They love to aestivate in it during the heat of the day. I prefer it to soil or coco fiber because when its sprayed down it holds moisture and dissipates within hours of the hottest part of the day. Which to me seems to be a much more natural approach. So far the little guys I got back in June are rather perfect growth. No pyramiding, nice hard shells, and very healthy appetites. I also use it for my adults. They do the same thing. Burrow face down into it and sprawl the hind legs out. I have been pleased with it. I use it for all my arid or dryer species.

They seem to like the set up.

Ahh yes. Ialso forgot to add I use a heat pad under the tank for cool nights. These guys can take it a little cooler than others. But I keep it low to mid 70s at night for the wee ones. The adults have no issues lower than that. But that rarely happens in the building they are in.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its about 10 bucks a bag. Kinda expensive compared to mulch or anything else. But very easy to spot clean. Its in the outdoor section of Home Depot near the pave stones. I put it in 5 gallon buckets and run a hose in it for 20-30 minutes to kinda flush and clean it before putting it in the enclosure.