Either Im Confused OR My two males are copulating???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
OMGSH! My 3 year old comes in and says "Brock is tipped over" so im going over there to turn him upright and this is what I see:

DSC_0786.jpg

DSC_0787.jpg

BUT the one in the female position is Oscar... "He" has a concave plastron, orange eyes and a fat big tail! Am I confused or is "he"? Is Oscar a girl? b/c clearly Brock is a boy... theyve been hiding together since the beginning but.... yikes! I dont know what to think here.

Some pics of oscar:

My finger is resting on "his" indented plastron

DSC_0636.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Do you have a picture of Oscars tail and hind legs? Looks like a female to me, but there are some male traits too. Females can have concave plastrons too.

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
CAN THEY?! I checked and dont have any pics of his tail but I remember it being larger than my known females.

Ill take some pics of "him" when they are done...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Males or females will also mount other males or females as a sign of dominance, just like dogs. I have a female jack russel that humps the cat to show him whose boss. You should see the look on the cats face while this happens.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
karlyholmes said:
CAN THEY?! I checked and dont have any pics of his tail but I remember it being larger than my known females.

Ill take some pics of "him" when they are done...

For sure. Males can have flat plastrons as well. In fact, I don't recall any of my 3-toed males ever having a significantly concave plastron.

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Males or females will also mount other males or females as a sign of dominance, just like dogs. I have a female jack russel that humps the cat to show him whose boss. You should see the look on the cats face while this happens.

Well Tom, I think you may be right! I think Oscar is still a boy. I put him in the soak tub to take pics and he flashed me- ive never seen photos of a girl flasher but here are the photos I got:

Plastron
DSC_0790.jpg

More plastron/long tail away from shell
DSC_0794.jpg

Flasher!
DSC_0791.jpg

Going back in
DSC_0795.jpg

Still male?

Neal

10 Year Member!