Emotional Support Animal

tortoiselover2158

I was going to fly to visit family for Christmas and my tortoise is an emotional support animal for me. The airline I made a flight with originally approved him, but at the last minute said no. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on being able to get an emotional support animal on a flight and if so, what airlines are more forgiving?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No dice. They aren't going to allow it. They have to allow service animals by law, but "emotional support" animals are not covered by the ADA.You'd have to ship him to yourself at your destination and he'd fly cargo. Delta and United both take good care of the animals in cargo. Or drive. Or leave him at home, which would be safest and best for the tortoise.

How were you going to house him at your destination?

tortoiselover2158

We bought and shipped all equipment we would need to our destination, and we would be staying in our families lake house. Driving is not an option because we are visiting family on the other side of the country. We would really like to bring him because I have severe anxiety, depression, and ptsd and therefore he is a tremendous support. We are looking at the possibility of boarding him though.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I've been on a WestJet flight where someone near me had an emotional support animal. Maybe contact them and explain what the tortoise is for you and they'll make an exception. I assume you'll need documentation from a medical doctor.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
service animals are allowed by the American with Disabilities Act but they have to be trained to do something emotional support does not count. unless the airline makes an exemption you'll be out of luck.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The only animals allowed by the ADA are dogs and, for some completely unknown reason, miniature horse guides for blind people. Those miniature horse people must have one hell of a lobby :) I think there's probably four or five of them in the whole country. If that. But anyway my point is dogs are the only ones allowed. I'm not sure where "emotional support" animals fit into the whole thing. Leave your tortoise at home and don't stress him out

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I was going to fly to visit family for Christmas and my tortoise is an emotional support animal for me. The airline I made a flight with originally approved him, but at the last minute said no. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on being able to get an emotional support animal on a flight and if so, what airlines are more forgiving?
I believe on JetBlue for $100 your pet flies with you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I believe on JetBlue for $100 your pet flies with you.
This would be fantastic if it were true, however the FAA forbids it. I know this because I fly with dogs and other animals on a regular basis for my profession. If there were some sort of loophole where you pay $100 and our animals could fly on the plane with us all 200 of us would be doing it on a regular basis.

For almost 2 decades we have been flying the Target dog in first class with Delta. They would buy the dog a first class seat and the trainer would ride in a first class seat next to the dog. This went on for many years before the FAA came in and said that we could not do it anymore. All of the Delta lawyers, all of the FAA lawyers, all of the Target lawyers, and my boss had to get together and draft up rules for flying with celebrity dogs in order to have a loose animal in the passenger cabin that was not covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act. We had to wait for the final guidelines to be drafted and for the FAA to approve them before we could resume flying with the Target dog. Only a few other dogs have traveled this way, and the airlines are very persnickety about letting any dog do this. I know because I try to fly a different celebrity dog and Delta turned me down. It became a big fight with them about what defines a "celebrity dog". The dog in question had been in more than 100 TV shows, commercials, and movies. We were trying to fly home after working on a Matthew McConaughey movie with the dog. Delta was trying to tell me the dog was not a celebrity enough to be able to fly first class as a celebrity dog.

Eventually Delta caved and I got to fly with my dog, but my point is that they are not going to allow someone to fly with their pet support tortoise, and JetBlue cannot do it because of the FAA regulations for bidding it.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
The only animals allowed by the ADA are dogs and, for some completely unknown reason, miniature horse guides for blind people. Those miniature horse people must have one hell of a lobby :) I think there's probably four or five of them in the whole country. If that. But anyway my point is dogs are the only ones allowed. I'm not sure where "emotional support" animals fit into the whole thing. Leave your tortoise at home and don't stress him out
Miniature horses live longer than dogs. If I were blind and young, I would prefer to have a miniature horse over a dog so I wouldn't have to go through losing him or her as often.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
This would be fantastic if it were true, however the FAA forbids it. I know this because I fly with dogs and other animals on a regular basis for my profession. If there were some sort of loophole where you pay $100 and our animals could fly on the plane with us all 200 of us would be doing it on a regular basis.

For almost 2 decades we have been flying the Target dog in first class with Delta. They would buy the dog a first class seat and the trainer would ride in a first class seat next to the dog. This went on for many years before the FAA came in and said that we could not do it anymore. All of the Delta lawyers, all of the FAA lawyers, all of the Target lawyers, and my boss had to get together and draft up rules for flying with celebrity dogs in order to have a loose animal in the passenger cabin that was not covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act. We had to wait for the final guidelines to be drafted and for the FAA to approve them before we could resume flying with the Target dog. Only a few other dogs have traveled this way, and the airlines are very persnickety about letting any dog do this. I know because I try to fly a different celebrity dog and Delta turned me down. It became a big fight with them about what defines a "celebrity dog". The dog in question had been in more than 100 TV shows, commercials, and movies. We were trying to fly home after working on a Matthew McConaughey movie with the dog. Delta was trying to tell me the dog was not a celebrity enough to be able to fly first class as a celebrity dog.

Eventually Delta caved and I got to fly with my dog, but my point is that they are not going to allow someone to fly with their pet support tortoise, and JetBlue cannot do it because of the FAA regulations for bidding it.
JetBlue accepts small cats and dogs in the cabin of the aircraft on both domestic and international flights (no other animals are allowed). The non-refundable fee for a pet is $100 each way, and the combined weight of the pet and carrier may not exceed 20 pounds.
JetBlue Pet Travel Policy - BringFido.com
https://www.bringfido.com › travel › jetb...
While I have never flown with a pet, I fly JetBlue monthly. I have to decline the offer to get a more space seat and decline travel with a pet.
It appears (link) that it allows cats and dogs only, and weight classed, but in cabin. Guess they have a work around on the FAA policy.
Feedback
About this result

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Pets can be booked online or you can call 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583). Remember: There is a pet fee of $100 each way. ... Your pet carrier can not exceed 17"L x 12.5"W x 8.5"H and the combined weight of your pet and the carrier must not exceed 20 pounds.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
https://www.ipata.org/ It will cost a great deal, but members of this organization seem to to know ins and outs that have them able to transport any kind of animal that can be traveled. There is a directory. It costs alot. Did I say it's expensive. There are also many means to buy part of a chartered flight. Again sorta expensive.